Paint Sanding Only One Side of Car

Old 05-06-11, 09:03 AM
Color Sanding Only One Side of Car

Hi, I have a question about color sanding. My new car was damaged in an accident. The 1st body shop worked on it twice but there was still filler ripples on both door panels. I took it to a new body shop and they thought they could minimize the ripples by color sanding the doors. It did minimize the ripples, but I can still see them. The bigger issue is the finish on the car. They paint sanded both doors and the front and rear panel on the drivers side and they look great and have a glass finish. The problem is the rest of the car does not. The factory paint had more of an orange peel finish and there is a definite difference between the drivers side and the rest of the car.

I haven't spoken to my insurance company or the body shop yet because I wanted to get some advice. I have a feeling the suggested solution is going to be to color sand the rest of the car. This is a new car and we plan on keeping it a long time and I am concerned about paint sanding the factory paint and clear coat damage down the road. Also am I correct in assuming the only way to match the finish is either to color sand the entire car or repaint the damaged section?

Also the 2nd body shop, other than color sanding was very hesitant to attempt to fix the filler ripples saying they had concerns about repainting the entire side and not having it match. Is that really a valid concern?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by intlhuckster; 05-06-11 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-11, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
By 'paint sanding' do you mean wet sanding the finished paint with a ultra fine grit??

It shouldn't be a big problem to make the colors match if they are painting a whole side and have a good point to transition the new to old. I'd be leery of letting them sand the undamaged side of the car. I'd talk to both the body shop and insurance adjuster as to what can be done to make it right. Did you take your car to one of the insurance companies preferred shops?

Old 05-06-11, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
I'm not sure what you mean by "paint sanding"...wet sanding maybe? Or just sanding the paint?

There is no reason...let me say that again...NO reason why a good body shop can't match the paint on a new car exactly.

Filler ripples? Why would they use filler? Replace the door skins (or doors) and be done with it. Maybe filler for a bad door ding...but it sounds like you have much more than that.

Again...a good body shop should be able to repair any cosmetic damage (and more) and the car should be good as new.

You pay insurance for a reason....have them make it like new. You didn't take a check from insurance and then shop for a place to do it cheap did you?

Old 05-06-11, 10:08 AM
Sorry, I meant color sanding and I've edited my post. Yes I believe they wet sanded with a fine grit. Both shops were my insurance companies preferred shops. I feel the same about the undamaged side but I just wanted to check.

Old 05-06-11, 10:16 AM
Both are insurance company approved shops. I had the same thoughts about the filler and they were supposed to be replacing the door skins during this visit. The 2nd shop was concerned that the when they replaced the door skins that the welds would not be as clean as the factory welds and that would be more of an issue than the ripples.

Old 05-06-11, 10:48 AM
Also, is replacing the door skins that big of an issue. I have read some other posts on line that they frequently have to use filler to fix damage to the edges that occurs when attaching the new skins.

Old 05-06-11, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
I'm no body shop guy...but I've had it done, and you can't tell the difference between the damaged door and the factory original.

Old 05-06-11, 02:33 PM
how new is your new car? if it's been around for at least some time, there's fade on original paint due to heat and ultraviolet radiation. plus, continuous scraping from road dust, dulls topcoat. normally, what they do, is to look up paint code somewhere on your car, and have exact match ordered. but that will be exact match for the FACTORY paint, not one weathered away. there will always be some shade difference. one has to work with a very very experienced painter to have exact match with partial paint job, as they have to twick original paint formula so that it matches what you have NOW. but even with that, topcoat will be looking better on a new paint job, than on the rest of the car. unless they try to polish the rest of it. it's almost easier to re-finish entire car.

you know how insurances chose their preferred shops, right?

Old 05-10-11, 09:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it works out.