a/c system won't take freon?

Old 05-09-11, 05:33 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a/c system won't take freon?

i have a 1986 honda accord, i've replaced the drier, evaporator valve,condenser and compressor(comp. is used). have vacuumed the system for 45 minutes and left it pressurized for an add'l 30 minutes, to insure that i had no leaks. upon trying to charge the system, i can't get it to take freon? the clutch is engaged and everything is turning, no unusual noises or anything.i thought the valve on the low side port was bad but i've eliminated that as a problem. i've put a 8 oz bottle of ester oil in the comp. before i changed it. i can't any pressure in the system to put my gauges on it to determine if i have any other problems. incidently every time i've tried something i've re-vac'd it. @ 9 to $11.00 a can this is getting exspensive and i have run out of ideas??????

Old 05-09-11, 08:44 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
well, for starters, on 86 car you have outdated ports. there supposed to be retrofit couplings for them. i think i still have some of those around.
also, you need to make sure you trying to charge via low port.
btw, you keep running that compressor with clutch engaged and no oil/freon mix in the system and you'll fry it again. NOW it will get expensive.

Old 05-10-11, 06:18 PM
W
Curious............NO refrigerant in the system, yet the clutch is engaged?????...........Didn't think the low pressure cutoff switch would allow that?????

Old 05-10-11, 06:53 PM
unless switch is rigged or shortened. done this before. you pull pressure sensor out, it has 2 prongs, and you simply short them with a jump wire and place back into the plug. we used to do this to use running compressor to suck freon into the system. you have to do this in short spurts, or you'll fry compressor. 10 seconds or so.

Old 05-11-11, 08:53 PM
C
ukrbyk thanks, i did the port retro-fit. anyway i tried it again this time i left gauges on and left the vacuum pressure in the system,and shut the valves. i attached freon to the middle hose,started the car turned on the a/c and released the vacuum and it sucked the charge right in. added the 2nd can and i have 30 low and 185 high. i was trying to charge it with the little short hose with the valva and quick connect built on like ive done with gm stuff and it just wouldn't work. i will do it this way from now on.

Old 05-12-11, 05:43 PM
you welcome. so, if i understood you correctly, you installed a coupling to match modern freon can design?

glad it worked.

sorry to spoil your happiness, though. here's 2 concerns:

1. you can not put 134 into old system without complete system cleansing. COMPLETE. old freon is not compatible with the new one, gums up and blocks passages.
2. you did add freon/oil mix, right? as if you did freon only, you have to fix it immediately, or your compressor will seize next few days. i have been there. 2-3 days. you either have to add a can of oil, then balance it with freon, or simply add freon/oil mix.

Old 05-12-11, 09:50 PM
C
ukrbyk, yes i did do a complete flushing of the system. and also i added 8oz. of ester oil. and your right 12 and 134 do not mix, also for you guys out there who are thinking of doing a conversion, once everything is done and your air doesn't feel as cold as it did. don't think you did something wrong, as is quite often the case when switching from old to new,134 isnt near as good as R12. thanks chevguy7

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: