Cavalier AC Question

Old 05-07-11, 05:04 PM
Cavalier AC Question

Hey all,

Done a compressor-drier and condenser replacement on a 2000, I found a 134 capacity chart from NAPA that states this system takes 24oz... I put two 12oz cans in but my gauges only read 150 high and 35 low, It only blows 42 degrees out the center vent.

Had I not found that chart I would have added enough to bring the high side up around 250 like I do with any other system, At 250 high and 30-40 low I normally get 28-32 degrees out the center vent.

Should I disregard the chart and add more to see if I can get a cooler temp out the vent ?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-11, 07:26 PM
Cavalier AC Pressures

I am no expert, but I found out that you can put all the refrigerant you want into a Dodge Durango, and it wont get the temperature to come down like you want if a certain electric fan isn't operating correctly. You may have the same problem with the chevy.

Old 05-08-11, 05:07 AM
There's only one fan and it's working properly. Still only 42 when driving.

Thanks

Old 05-08-11, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
How the heck would you get 28-32 degrees? That's below freezing? Wouldn't it cause ice on the vents and freezing of the coil?

I remember when I thought mine was kinda weak and a shop told me 25-30 below ambient temp (when it was around 75 out)was good.

Old 05-08-11, 07:10 AM
Cavalier AC Pressures

I agree with the gunguy on his response about the temp you are seeking. The electric fan switch I had difficulty with on the Dodge was not the blower fan. It was working fine too, just blowing hot air. There was something else electrical in the Dodge system that was repaired to the tune of $250 that made the difference. (and I can assure you that it wasn't the addition of more refrigerant. I added that myself) and the shop didnt have to add any.
I hope you will tell us what you find!

Old 05-12-11, 10:15 PM
Thumbs up

did you replace the orifice tube filter? they are inexspensive and will make a difference in the flow of coolant and also bring up the high side pressure. you didn't say what the flow looks like in your sight glass on your gauges? it should be clear. i would change out that filter and vac the system down for atleast 30 mins. then re-charge the system. honestly at 30 low and 150 high your very close, chevys generaly want 28 to35 low and 185 to 215 high if you got cold air and good flow through in the sight glass i would let it be! ps dont forget about outside temp. your only going to get so much below ambient temperature!!!!