2005 Hyundai Sonata left rear clump sounds when you are on a rough road

Old 05-09-11, 09:59 AM
2005 Hyundai Sonata left rear clump sounds when you are on a rough road

My sons car. We have had the struts (front & back)replaced, front and back realigned, new tires. Rebuilt engine(about a year ago) 4 dr, 2.4l, runs great. He had this problem prior to having the struts replaced, new tires, & realignment. Hoping the struts would take care of the problem. When he is driving and hits a rough spot in the road, it is almost sounds like it bottoms out. The sound is coming from the left rear and honestly sounds like a broken shock. Does anyone know what it might be. He doesn't live at home, so I can't really take a look underneath. I am not sure if the car has springs or what in addition to the rear struts. They did replace the mounts when they did the struts and they are a good shop. Its kind of a clap sound and only the left side. Not overloaded in the trunk or backseat. High mileage. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-11, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Just a guess...but I have a similar thing with my Tribute only in the front.

Does this have heavy rubber cushions under/on top of the springs for the rear struts?

One of mine is worn through just at the end of the coil and when turning right (which is the way I normally turn the most) into the driveway or a parking lot..it get a clunk sound as the spring kinda hits the bottom seat through the worn rubber.

I told the place that did mine last if it needed anything like that to call me...well, they didn't call.

Old 05-09-11, 07:12 PM
just a guess... muffler? spare tire? anything loose in the trunk? control arm? they have pretty big bushings on those...

Old 05-10-11, 05:19 AM
Thanks

I hadn't thought of the muffler, although if the car has springs, that is a possibility. I told him to have them take a look when he gets his oil changed.
Thanks for the help.

Old 05-10-11, 08:07 AM
muffler that has one "ear" off the hook will do a lot of noises. loose jackstand, any kind of loose stuff in the trunk, spare, etc... he needs to try to duplicate it by simply rocking rear end up-down vigorously.