Volvo sat for three years.

Old 05-10-11, 03:29 PM
Volvo sat for three years.

I'm helping someone with a 1999 Volvo S70 they just acquired. This car sat unused for about three years. My friend ordered a key using the VIN number and the engine actually starts using the key but won't run for more than a few seconds. We know we have to take they car and key to a dealer to get the car programmed for the key.
Is the lack of programming causing the car to quit running or is it something mechanical like three year old gas?
I was going to take the fuel line off somewhere (maybe the rail), drain all the gas out and put fresh in but if it is the security thing I'll save my time.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-11, 04:12 PM
well, replacing oil and gas and air filter won't hurt. i am almost positive that anti theft system shuts down fuel pump. i am surprised it even starts. IF they keys for that year were chipped already, as who knows. it's a Volvo. you might place a quick call to dealer to find out if that year had chipped keys or not. if yes - well...

also, good chance is, as it set so long, ground somewhere on the fuel pump is oxidized. maybe get to it and clean it. there's probably a lot of items that are oxidized on that car.

Old 05-10-11, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't know how you got it to start at all without a security code key. I would definitely exhume all the gas and dispose of it, replacing with fresh. Change the fuel filter.
Before it runs for an extended period change the timing belt, tensioners and water pump. If not, I'll send you a pix of my 2001 S80 sitting next to my garage with a broken belt. With the belt goes the valve train, so it turns into a $2k fix easily. And it's a twin turbo v6.

Old 05-10-11, 10:28 PM
Key is chipped

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I don't know how you got it to start at all without a security code key. I would definitely exhume all the gas and dispose of it, replacing with fresh. Change the fuel filter.
Before it runs for an extended period change the timing belt, tensioners and water pump. If not, I'll send you a pix of my 2001 S80 sitting next to my garage with a broken belt. With the belt goes the valve train, so it turns into a $2k fix easily. And it's a twin turbo v6.
The timing belt was changed just before it was parked. I think the guy is going to get a tow dolly or transport and haul it to a dealer to get the security programmed. If the tank has been half full, will the fuel pump still be oxidized?

Old 05-11-11, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Call a tow truck. Okay, so I'm biased (also licensed and insured).

I second the thought that if it was a security problem it shouldn't start at all.

Old 05-11-11, 08:27 AM
Just a thought. Some European cars back then had a separate transponder attached to the key ring as part of the imobilizer system rather than a chipped key only. Is this a possibility with this one?

Old 05-11-11, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by 2muchgrass View Post
The timing belt was changed just before it was parked. I think the guy is going to get a tow dolly or transport and haul it to a dealer to get the security programmed. If the tank has been half full, will the fuel pump still be oxidized?
not the fuel pump. fuel pump connectors. fuel pumps are usually right underneath the rear seat, unless Swedes stuck them place else. has 12V and negative, or ground, to it. ground usually goes oxidized. it's simple remove/clean/reinstall contact procedure.
matter of fact, if your fuel pump is easy to take out, there's usually a small filter on it in modern cars. it can be clogged with sediment or so. gas does go sour, you know. also, when you locate your pump, say, by removing rear seat cushion, have someone else start the car while you have ear close to pump. you should hear it work - and turn off.

Old 05-16-11, 11:00 AM
Worse than going sour, modern gas has ethanol in it. Storage easily results in a phenomenon called "phase separation", which can result in horrible goo and corrosion in the fuel system. Definitely replace the old gas with new.

Old 05-19-11, 06:49 PM
Start with you key programming. Only Volvo or an indie with an Autologic or a VaDiS can do this. Car starts and runs for a few seconds because the antenna ring and or key is bad or not programmed. Yes gas should be flushed and other fluids. But im sure this is an immoblizer issue. We do many antenna rings at our shop for this problem...start stall, start stall ect. Basic fuel pressure check will tell you the fuel pump and such is ok. You can drain you fuel tank at the fuel rail if you remove the shradder valve and command the fuel pump on.

Old 06-14-11, 01:59 PM
It's gone.

The guy I was helping showed up with an auto transport so I towed the Volvo up onto the trailer and he took it to a dealer. I haven't heard back from him yet so I don't know what eventually happened. I don't know where he had the key made but he told me he just gave the guy the VIN and he made a key. The engine would run for 2 seconds maybe and then quit. The key did allow us to take it out of park so I was able to get it onto the trailer.