Shorten Start Time?

Old 05-10-11, 07:33 PM
Shorten Start Time?

Now that I have the car starting without any smoke

For an explanation read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...o400-code.html

I have now noticed that it takes a while to start up. I do not know if it is normal or if there is anything I can do to shorten the start time.

The 04 Nissan Xterra sounds something like this at start up:

Pa, Pa, Pa, Pa, Start.

Other cars that I have sound like:

Pa, Pa, Start.

That is why I am wondering if there is anything that I should look at that could cause the hesitation. Or maybe I am just being too picky.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-11, 07:54 PM
for starters - pun intended - why don't you tell us what exactly was done? fuel regulator replaced? EGR replaced or, at least, cleaned?
fouled spark plugs come to mind first. either replace them or take them out and burn them clean with torch.

Old 05-10-11, 08:09 PM
Fuel Regulator was replaced. EGR valve was working perfectly fine. Everything else looked good. Just that the Fuel Regulator was throwing everything else off.

The Spark Plugs where dark. Only have about 7,000 miles with them.

You recommend burn clean with a torch or just go ahead and replace them already?

It currrently has: Ngk Gp Platinum/Spark Plug

Thinking about using: Ngk Ix Iridium/Spark Plug

Is there a difference? If so, just price or also performance.

Old 05-11-11, 12:03 PM
regular NGKs will do fine. allegedly, iridium tipped one have less resistance and last for 100 000 miles. whatever.
if you want real performance plugs, get HALO plugs.
burn with torch. grab spark plug with pliers, so that you do not burn yourself. heat electrodes up until they are white hot. they will smoke for a little bit, then smoke goes away, as crud burns off. make sure not to grab them with hand thereafter, they are very hot for next 5 or so minutes.

CLEAN YOUR EGR. take it out and spray clean with carb cleaner, until cleaner comes out clear.

Old 05-11-11, 01:39 PM
Most common reason for a car taking some time to start is its not holding fuel rail pressure for very long after turning off. Monitor your fuel rail pressure for 30min after turning it off. If it does not hold that could be one issue. Other reason can be out of your control. When a car with fuel injection starts there is a open loop and closed loop timing. When the engine is cranking the ECM needs to recognize crank shaft position and cam shaft position before it starts sparking. Depending where the gears last left off can vary your start time. Honda is really good at this. Also on cold starts carbon build up on the back of the valves can cause delays as well as dirty injectors.

Old 05-15-11, 06:40 AM
The fuel system check valve, if this leaks, then the start time increases, if this leaks completely, the start will be hard to impossible..
If a cold start sensor is used and this "lies", then there will be problems - depending on the "lie".
We need a fuel pressure gage, the specs and a multimeter and maybe some training.

Old 05-15-11, 09:59 PM
Start Is now much better I guess all it needed was for the tips of the plugs to be burned. Everthing is running completely fine. Thank You to all for your help.

Search this Thread