? for the Honda Experts-2006 Accord V6

Old 05-14-11, 08:14 AM
? for the Honda Experts-2006 Accord V6

In the local Honda dealer today for routine oil chg and tire rotation.Car has 62 K miles. Service advisor recommended a brake fluid change and transmission flush-appx $325. It just struck me that this price was ridiculous. Any comment?

And are special fluids required from Honda or can you use any type fluid that has the correct rating/compatibility to the Honda fluid?

Thanks in advance for reading and your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-11, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Forget the trans "flush", but a trans fluid change might be in order..though thinking about it...many cars come with sealed trans...can't even check the fluid w/o tools. What does the cars manual say about it? Most likely not required til 100K miles or so.

Some of the experts here do say to change the trans fluid at certain intervals...just like engine oil....though at less frequent intervals...like 40K, 80K, etc.

Brake fluid change is a good idea. Local shops here charge about $50 (plus materials) for system flush, fill, and bleed.

Did you get a break down of what the individual services were going to cost? You can use any brand as long as it meets the required specs.

Old 05-14-11, 08:45 AM
This is getting better. the Honda shop just called and now it's frt brakes and rotors to be repaired. Cost apprx $205.

any comment?

Thx

Old 05-14-11, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Thats a very reasonable price if its for new pads and rotors...but I bet its not. Odds are its for new pads only...and maybe resurfacing the rotors...but even that would be a stretch. Pads prob run $50 or so for both wheels...new rotors would be $50-75 ea...resurfacing instead would prob be $50 total....labor maybe 1 hr though I'm sure the book rate is longer..

Old 05-14-11, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Unless it's warranty work or something that is proprietary (security systems, etc.) I rarely recommend dealer service departments. I would run from any garage - dealer or otherwise - that was tyrying to sell me a tranny "flush" on a car with 62k miles on it.

I would be surprised if a tranny service and brake fluid change out couldn't be had for about half that $325 figure.

Old 05-14-11, 05:25 PM
tiger, do you have any basic tools and DIY concepts? full trannie flush, unless it's sealed, and that does not sound like Honda, can be DIY in about an hr, without any special tools and out of your parking.
unless it's a CVT, parts stores now sell Honda compatible ATF. just ask for it. been a while since I bought one, it's "Type" something, good for Hondas. used to be an issue, but market picked up on it.

ok, it's Z1 ATF.

i am not sure why brake fluid needs to be flushed. 62K miles? respectfully to others opinions - but why? is it dark? any brake problems?
did they tell you what exactly is wrong with front brakes? I can possibly see pads replacement, but rotors? unless you killed pads and drove on metal, and ruined rotors. Asian cars are not GM, their brake pads do not last as long, that's true.

honestly, it all boils down to your DIY skill level. all this work can be done in about 2 hrs, by you, at total cost of maybe 150 bucks? or you'll be Dairy Queened by shops. but if you can't tell lug nut from walnut, and replacing flat tire appears to be a rocket science project - then yes, you do have to pay. around here, Greg's Japanese is overall good and decent priced place to do this stuff. brakes and rotors - IF THERE'S REAL NEED TO - can be done by any Les Schwab.

Old 05-15-11, 07:15 AM
First thank you for those who have replied. I do appreciate this.

Now to a followup. Picked up the car at the Honda dealer yesterday afternoon. Just to repost-this is 2006 Accord with 62 K miles. Here is the breakdown of recommendations.

1. Replace frt brake pads and resurface rotors-$200

2. Transmission flush and replace fluid-$225
Found out same was done at 30 K miles

3. Replace brake fluid-$120.
4. Replace power steering fluid-$160

So besides the cost, I researched my original Honda manual carefully and could not find a thing about Honda's recommended frequency on items 2 ,3,4 . That in itself bothered me. And it has been my experience that dealers push up frequency intervals over Honda's recommendation.

And then the manual clearly states to use Honda branded fluids for 2,3 ,4 except only in an emergency when Honda fluids are not readily available. And if that is the case, then come back to flush and re-install Honda Fluids at first opportunity. This disturbed me.

Any comment on above?

Again thanks for reading.

Old 05-15-11, 07:29 PM
Dairy Queening.

of course Honda manual says to use Honda fluid. and even so, how much is that fluid? 8 bucks a qrt? with you having what, 12 qrt full refill?
Very good brake pads are $40-45; rotors resurfacing is $40-45. for both, not each. just to make sure - rear ones are done waaaaaay above your mileage, as cars do 80% braking with front ones.

replace power steering fluid? why?

i spoke. out of this thread.