Chevy Cobalt 2006 - Horn not working, diagnostic procedure & troubleshooting

Old 05-16-11, 12:28 PM
Chevy Cobalt 2006 - Horn not working, diagnostic procedure & troubleshooting

Son was home for a family get together yesterday evening and he mentioned a little while ago, his horn quit working. Didn't have much time to look at it last night and don't have the manual since we bought the car used. I found the manual to locate the specific fuse/fuseblock for the horn and also that the horn is located behind/below the driver's side headlamp (meaning you have to remove the headlamp assembly to get to the horn)
Looking at it last night, I could hear a distinctive clicking near the firewall, when he pressed the horn switch on the steering wheel. Don't know if that means anything but thought I should mention in case there's some 3rd electrical component or relay involved. My plan is to jumper the horn directly to the battery post to see if it works.
What I need to know is if that works and the fuse is Ok!, then the horn switch is bad (unless there is an additional relay) - what is best/most affordable way to repair? And I'm thinking that getting a separate horn switch and just mounting to the dash.

If the horn is bad, can you recommend a good basic replacement 3rd party horn? I thought of a junk yard to get another Cobalt horn but figure if the horn went bad on my son's, it's likely I'll just get another bad GM horn from another Cobalt.

Let me know what you think and thanks,
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-11, 12:01 PM
Question Why can't I see my posts until I log in ?

Yesterday, I accidentally posted this same issue twice as I thought that I had posted it intially but a Power outtage disconnected my session... When I just tried to browse to the Car forum (not logged-in) I couldn't see my post and thought I had not hit the Post button after I started the thread.... Anyway, logging in again, I then saw that I had both posts available.
Anyone know what's going on?
Thanks,
greynold99