New ? for Honda Experts

Old 05-17-11, 05:23 AM
New ? for Honda Experts

What is difference between a transmission oil flush/refill and a drain/refill?

Any pros/cons of one over another?

My independent Honda shop (non dealer) that I use for my older Hondas states there is anecdotal evidence that the trans flush type procedure can be related to premature transmission failures so they do not recommend.

I am really just trying to learn something as this Honda independent shop has my full confidence and has forgotten more than the local dealer ever knew.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-11, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
As I understand...a flush uses a machine that sucks out the trans fluid (and possibly uses a type of solvent) to get the max amount of crud out. It's done under pressure and requires disconnecting the fluid lines. What is said is that it can knock loose crud and cause it to clog things up.

Just draining is pretty self explanatory....but it won't get all the fluid out of the torque converter. Some people recommend a drain and fill...then drive it for a time...then another drain and fill to get most of the old fluid out. I think thats kind of excessive and a bit expensive since you have to use twice as much fluid.

Old 05-17-11, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think there are any manufacturer's who call for anything besides drain, replace filter (or clean screen if so equipped) and refill at the recommended intervals. I've never done more than that on any vehicle and have never had a premature tranny failure.

Old 05-17-11, 02:10 PM
2 differences.
1. drain/refill is replacing only fluid in your transmission fluid pan. like guys said, it will not replace the rest of it.
2. transmission flush/refill replaces entire fluid in the system. pan, transmission itself, torque converter, ATF cooling radiator if there's one.
normally, ratio is 1 to 4. maybe 1 to 3. there's usually 3 to 4 times as much fluid in entire system, as you can simply drain.
Honda did not use to have any filters. unless they changed it. basically, it historically was simple drain plug with 3/8 square recess in it for a socket wrench. refills were done via dip stick hole. THAT hole Honda historically stuck into devilishly inaccessible places.

as of flush drain, there are several ways of doing it. yes, shops do use machines. DIY guys have their ways around it. without applying any pressure to the system and lifting crud up.

i think, "bad things happen" to your transmission talk is indeed anecdotal. they would have quit doing it long time ago, should it have been serious hassle. it's liability. shops don't like that.

let me put it this way. i am membering in several automotive forums. been working on my and friends' cars for years. so far, never met a guy who had this happen to him. met many that keep repeating same story, or know someone, who knows someone, who heard of someone who had that happen to him. anecdotal, like i said.

Old 05-17-11, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by TigerDunes View Post
What is difference between a transmission oil flush/refill and a drain/refill?

Any pros/cons of one over another?

My independent Honda shop (non dealer) that I use for my older Hondas states there is anecdotal evidence that the trans flush type procedure can be related to premature transmission failures so they do not recommend.

I am really just trying to learn something as this Honda independent shop has my full confidence and has forgotten more than the local dealer ever knew.

Thanks for reading.
Year and model ??? How many miles on it ?

Old 05-17-11, 05:04 PM
2006 Honda Accord EX V6

Apprx 62 K miles

Search this Thread