strong gasoline odor

Old 05-19-11, 05:40 AM
strong gasoline odor

My 2004 Malibu has 55,000 miles and lately when I shut off the engine there is a very strong odor of gasoline. I am unable to find any leaks and it does'nt seem to be using excess fuel.
Any ideas??

Thank you, FLA. Printer

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-11, 03:07 PM
leaking injectors? pressure valve regulator? sounds like your gas supply does not shut off.

also, and i know that it's hard to tell. if you have any unburnt fuel, it may come out of exhaust. which leads me back to sentence one. you seriously need to check anything from where gas line comes into the engine bay and to the engine head.

Old 05-19-11, 03:15 PM
Thanks. Makes sense. I'll copy this and give it to my mechanic. FLA. Printer

Old 05-19-11, 05:40 PM
A car will often run fine with a leaking fuel line because the fuel pump pressure is sufficient to compensate for it. But you are leaking fuel whenever the car is on, and it will drip from the line a bit once you shut it off, and that might be why you're noticing it then.

So this is a significant fire and explosion hazard.

Look underneath the car, usually along the driver's door for fuel leaks. Fuel lines often run from the tank, along the rear left wheel well, up to the engine under the driver's door.

You will probably see two fuel lines there, small diameter steel. The hydraulic brake lines often run along side them...

Fuel lines are relatively cheap and easy to replace, so don't let anyone rip you off on this repair, if its indeed what you need...

If you don't see a leak there, the line may be leaking closer to the engine. But they tend to get corroded most quickly under the rear wheel well and under the door.

Just FYI, one gallon of gasoline, fully vaporized, has the explosive equivalent of 14 sticks of dynamite.

If you are parking your car in a garage, be careful.

Plugged, dirty or poorly connected fuel injector; Leaking fuel filter or fuel filter connections; Punctured or damaged fuel tank; Loose or poorly connected fuel pump; Gas in gas can in trunk. = IN ADDITION TO THAT ANSWER, PONDER THIS... CARS HAVE A VACUUM FUEL CANISTER THAT MAY INCORPORATE A FILTER OF ITS OWN. I'M NOT SURE WHAT CONDITION MAKES THIS TANK TAKE ON FUEL (ITS AN OVERFLOW TANK, OF SORTS). HAVE THESE ITEMS CHECKED BY A MECHANIC YOU TRUST. HOPE THIS HELPS ! ! !
if you can smell gas whether the car is running or NOT that means you have a leak in your fuel system if it was not a leak, you would not smell it when not running . first thing is check under vehicle after overnight parking and see if there is fuel on the ground if there is , this will give you a starting point where to look for gas leak

Old 06-01-11, 02:12 PM
problem solved

The problem was a leak in the fuel pump. a very expensive fix. thanks for all your input. FLA. Printer

Old 06-01-11, 02:30 PM
FLA, exactly what was leaking? fuel pump seal in the tank housing? internal leaks should not cause any smell, as it is inside the fuel tank, right?

Old 06-02-11, 04:04 AM
I haven't seen it yet, will pick up the car today, but as it was explained to me; there must be a plastic "collar" that is outside the tank, and it was cracked.

Old 06-02-11, 02:21 PM
ok, yeah, that will leak vapors out. thanks, man.

Search this Thread