1988 T-Bird Ash Tray Lid

Old 05-22-11, 03:53 PM
1988 T-Bird Ash Tray Lid

The formerly spring loaded ash tray lid on my 88 Sport Coup developed the annoying habit of opening when I hit the brakes. Noting no spring tension on it any more, I removed it to see what the problem was. It appears that there may have been one or two little springs attached to two plastic protrustions on each side of the pop rivets Ford used for hinge pins for the metal door. Since these protrustions appeared to be damaged (like they may have been drilled with a small hole to hold a spring, and the spring just got mad and pulled out thru the top of each one of them, I repaired them with some epoxy. I plan to drill a small hole in them to hold some springs I got at the hardware store, but I will be darned if I can see where the other attaching point for the springs is. Does anyone out there have one of these cars that they could remove the cover and take a look and see where the springs attach? The cover is held in place with four phillips head screws, two in the ash tray itself, and two under the console storage compartment door. (behind the floor shift lever)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-11, 08:01 PM
T bird ash tray lid

Well I didn't get any replies so I went ahead and fixed it myself, with some help from a Ford dealership parts sales person. He found a set of original springs at another dealer. I brought in the console cover when they came in and he hooked the springs to my newly repared plastic hangers. He then hooked the other end of the springs to some extensions that were on the ash tray door. I didn't think that was where they were hooked originally but it holds the door closed now when I hit the brakes. Cool....