2001 Nissan Sentra - batt. picture and emerg.brakelight come on intermittently

Old 05-23-11, 01:48 AM
2001 Nissan Sentra - batt. picture and emerg.brakelight come on intermittently

Hi. I have a 2001 NissanSentra and every so often, just out of the blue, the emergency brake indicator and the battery picture indicator come on. Some days they don't come on at all..... Some days, they are on for most of the day while I am driving. It really just seems very intermittent.

Doesn't seem to make any different if the car is hot, or cold, or if everything power is on. Battery and electrical seem fine.

Something I have noticed twice was that on a couple occasions, a slight roll or knock sound (very faintly) seemed to happen when these two indicator lights came on.......so I am wondering if perhaps the problem could just be a loose wire somewhere? Otherwise, the electrical seems fine......I can have several things on at once, and nothing seems to happen (i.e. the lights aren't any dimmer)...

I'm not sure what to do/what to look for under the hood. Any suggestions? I really would rather not have to take the car into a service centre.....It can end up costing lots of $$$. I'm just hoping it's a loose wire somewhere.......

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-11, 12:23 PM
do you have antilocks?

1. your brake fluid is low
2. your car is drawing power out of battery. either your alternator is not working right, or belt is loose.
3. DO YOU HAVE YOUR A/C ON? slight knock along with power drop (which lowers rpms and hence may cause alternator issue) may as well be associated with a/c compressor engaging. it does not matter if you have it set to OFF. simply having fan set to windows automatically engages a/c "to dry air faster" on most modern cars.

Old 06-16-11, 12:36 AM
'01 Nissan - Battery and Emergency Brake Light Come on Intermittently

I have an '01 Nissan Sentra and often, the battery indicator light and the emergency brake indicator light come on for no apparent reason.

I can be driving along, and those two lights come on on the dash, and stay on for an hour, or come on and go out after a matter of minutes, or even seconds. It's totally random. Sometimes they don't come on for several days......but sometimes they come on (and go off) several times a day.

I had a mechanic look at it today and he couldn't really find a reason for it. He said the battery and alternator are charging fine. He also couldn't see any lose cables that could be causing this to happen so randomly.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks for your input.

Marie

Old 06-16-11, 12:09 PM
Do they always come on together? These lights really have nothing in common except that they are on the same vehicle. The brake light you are referring to is the red brake light correct? This light should come on for only 2 reasons. The brake fluid being low or the E-brake switch. The battery light comes on for battery and charging system problems. If they are coming on together then it could be a wiring or module problem. Pay particular attention to exactly what you are doing, where you are, and the conditions of your drive when these lights come on. This information may help in narrowing down the root cause.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 06-16-11, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Marie....one post is plenty. If you reply to the questions asked it will get more responses. I've left the original and the reply as well as the newer question...for continuity. Please don't start new posts for the same problem.

Old 06-17-11, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the reply.

No antilock brakes, but I will check the brake fluid.

Had my car checked out yesterday, and apparently battery and alternator are both fine.

Thanks again for replying.

Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
do you have antilocks?

1. your brake fluid is low
2. your car is drawing power out of battery. either your alternator is not working right, or belt is loose.
3. DO YOU HAVE YOUR A/C ON? slight knock along with power drop (which lowers rpms and hence may cause alternator issue) may as well be associated with a/c compressor engaging. it does not matter if you have it set to OFF. simply having fan set to windows automatically engages a/c "to dry air faster" on most modern cars.

Old 06-17-11, 01:38 AM
Yes, they always come on together, and go off together. They were on for pretty much the whole time I spent driving today (about two hours).

Re the brake light - Yes.....It's the light in the dash that is supposed to be on to show that the emergency brake is on.......however, in this case, the emergency brake isn't on.

And since the battery and alternator checked out okay, I guess it must be something in the wiring. Strange......

Thanks again for the replies. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by billys68ss View Post
Do they always come on together? These lights really have nothing in common except that they are on the same vehicle. The brake light you are referring to is the red brake light correct? This light should come on for only 2 reasons. The brake fluid being low or the E-brake switch. The battery light comes on for battery and charging system problems. If they are coming on together then it could be a wiring or module problem. Pay particular attention to exactly what you are doing, where you are, and the conditions of your drive when these lights come on. This information may help in narrowing down the root cause.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 06-17-11, 01:41 AM
Oops.....Sorry. I completely forgot that I had posted the thread a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Marie....one post is plenty. If you reply to the questions asked it will get more responses. I've left the original and the reply as well as the newer question...for continuity. Please don't start new posts for the same problem.

Old 06-17-11, 09:53 AM
well, it needs to be proven beyond any doubt that charging system is working fine.

otherwise, like gunguy said - it's apple and orange having nothing in common.

except one thing. they are both in your instrument cluster. now, under circumstance that line 1 in my post is true, your parking brake is not engaged (or it will trip brake light), and your brake fluid level is fine, i'd safely assume that you have short somewhere in the instrument cluster, that simply causes those 2 lights to come up "at will".

Old 06-17-11, 11:36 AM
Would there also be a possiblity that if the cluster is connected to the Body Control Module that there is something going on either with the connecting cable/connectors from the BCM, a ground cable, or the module itself. I assume that the BCM would produce diagonstic fault codes also which could be read. I don't know the vehicle but perhaps this is something else to consider if there are no other obvious reasons for these fault lights to come on intermittantly and as has been said they are really apples and oranges.

Old 06-19-11, 11:12 PM
Thanks again for the replies. I will take your suggestions with me to the auto repair shop.

Tx.
Marie

Old 08-09-11, 12:37 PM
Marie, I have the exact problem with my 01 Sentra. If you find out what the prob is, please post what it is and how it was resolved. Thank you.

Old 12-23-11, 01:11 AM
Hi. I ended up taking my vehicle to another garage and it turned out that it was indeed a problem with the alternator.

They replaced the alternator about two months ago now, and the car runs just fine again.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Much appreciated.