98 accord ac squeal

Old 05-23-11, 02:51 AM
98 accord ac squeal

My wife's 98 honda accord has a squeal whenever the air conditioning is on. If you push the button to turn the ac off, the squeal stops too. I used belt dressing last night hoping to stop it but no good. It still squeals, so I'm assuming something in the compressor? The ac works well. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-11, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
Before looking at the more expensive possible causes, I would first put a new belt on and make sure the tension is correct.

Old 05-23-11, 12:27 PM
your a/c clutch is getting there. it is borderline toast. that can make that noise, been there.

your a/c compressor is not lubricated well enough, resulting in excessive force needed to spin it. belt slips=noise

your a/c belt is loos=noise when it has to move clutch pulley

your system is overcharged, = read sentence 2. too much resistance from compressor.

not to forget. clutch bearing is bad. been there too. if that's the case, no one will sell you clutch bearing, everyone will sell you entire compressor or clutch. go to CarQuest in Hermitage, TN, they are good people, they will match and sell you bearing itself, was around 6 bucks.

Old 05-23-11, 05:44 PM
I adjusted the belt tension and that seems to have fixed it. Thanks guys!

Old 05-23-11, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
btw...never use belt dressing on a serpentine belt...and even on V belts its a diagnostic thing. Belt dressing was from way back in the past and really has no use today. You can do the same troubleshooting with a bar of soap I think.

Old 05-23-11, 08:53 PM
Gunguy is right, Belt dressing is made for flat belts that run thrashing machines powered by steam engines.. If you ever see a mechanic going toward your car with belt dressing, Slam the hood on his fingers as he's not a real mechanic & he doesen't need them... Fix the root cause, the belt tension or pulley alignment issue... Roger