2002 chevy impala low tire pressure light

Old 05-26-11, 10:02 PM
2002 chevy impala low tire pressure light

I have had the warning light for low pressure on for about 3 months. I kept checking the pressure and it alwas was fine . Now that it's warm out and I can work on it I took the car in and they found a nail in the tire. They pluged it and it has not lost any air in 3 weeks. Good news. Bad news, the light is still on. I tried to reset the light no help. They mentioned that it might be something to do with the anti lock brakes ? That did not sound right to me. Any thing else I can check ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-11, 03:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you put any Slime or Tire Flat stuff in the tire during that 3 month period? Using that stuff will mess up the sensor in the tire. Then, too, the sensors go bad. You have a good number of miles on the car, and it is entirely possible the sensor needs replacing. Not cheap, but it will solve your problem.

Old 05-27-11, 04:55 AM
No I didn't put anything in the tires. I was just concerned when they told me that it could be the anti lock brakes and they were trying to blow smoke up my $$$.

Old 05-27-11, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You have a good number of miles on the car, and it is entirely possible the sensor needs replacing. Not cheap, but it will solve your problem.
Actually, they might just have to "rebuild" the sensor. I think it would be less that $30. (It was about $10 per tire to do mine when I got new tires.)

Old 05-27-11, 09:43 AM
If you want to turn it off turn the radio off and hold the DISP button for 10 seconds, this activates the setup menu. Scroll through until you see Tire Pressure and reset it. The car does not come with an active tire pressure management system, when it detects low pressure you will HAVE to reset the light.

or

Mine recently came on when I had low pressure. The easiest way to reset it is to turn the ignition to accessories and pull the interior light switch on and off three times. That should reset it.

or

For the 2001 model impala.....the same interior light mechanism works(to reset ur security center), only instead of "Pulling" the interior light switch u need to "Turn"(like a screw) the interior lights on n off 3 times untill u hear a tiny "BEEP".

Old 08-13-12, 07:18 PM
Thumbs up

To RESET the air pressure sensor. Shut off radio, hit Display and hold for 10 seconds. Index air monitor by using <> on top of Display. press 1 on your radio to RESET. RESET was the bear I couldn't find... grrrrrrrrrrrrr
Hope this helps someone one day.
Cheers
p.s. it was my honey who ran over a nail, guess i'll have to nail her now lol