96 plymouth voyageur? 2 questions

Old 05-30-11, 07:05 PM
96 plymouth voyageur? 2 questions

I have a 96 Plymouth voyaguer se with 3.3L v6
Tranny slips, like it appears they all do. Its a shame though, because the vehicle is fine otherwise save for a couple of things. I use it for a work van.

Anyway, I've been reading up on this and is it possible the slipping tranny could be caused by the wrong fluid having been used by the previous owners?

You have to blip the throttle to get it going and it works better in the cold weather, it slips when shifting from first to second, on the hwy it runs fairly normally.

As well, the horn and WW sprayer does not work and I noticed the airbag light stays on too.
I checked the fuses and they appear to be intact, perhaps a relay is the culprit?

Thanks, Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-11, 04:05 AM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention how many miles on it, but at 15+ years old I'm sure it has more than enough miles to put it in the prone-to-failure range. The slipping is much more likely from routine wear than from incorrect fluid, although I confess I don't know what long-term use of the wrong fluid would ultimately lead to. Probably time to get it on a scanner to see what's going on; that should give you some clues on the tranny and the airbag light at least. Won't help with the washer and horn; those you will need to track down with a meter and a wiring schematic.

Old 05-31-11, 04:49 AM
It has 215,000 KM on it currently.
I'm just trying to milk it along a little further, until I am able to afford another.

The tranny was slipping when I got it from my nephew and we have been driving it for a couple of years now like that. We don't go far with it

I did take it to a tranny shop about a year ago now and he just said it is pooched, without even scanning it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-31-11, 06:47 AM
Whether they work or not is a different question, and probably a separate posting that will get some attention, but you could still try adding one of those 'snake oil' type products that claim to stop transmission slippage. Quite a few out there with brand names attached to them. There are a number on the market if you google for it. If they help or solve the issue for even a while the costs are only a few dollars, and if they don't you are not out much money, as you are not going to replace the transmission anyway and at this point you never know without trying as a last resort. Why not? The horn and washer pump issue may not be related with each other as well. I would start by checking for voltage at both of them when activated. At least then you can eliminate a component failure of the horn or pump. Neither of these parts last forever, especially the washer pump, and hoses coming from it as well as the spray nozzel(s) themselves that get plugged up over time. If there is no power reaching them when they are activated, then you will need to follow each circuit back using a wiring diagram as the Tow Guy says, including a check of the horn relay.

Old 05-31-11, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Had to do the math; 133,000 miles. I'm guessing the tranny guy you consulted had seen his fair share and was confident that it was a goner (or going at least). I've seen my tranny guy do psychic troubleshooting, too; and nine times out of ten he's on the mark. After a while they know the pattern on what fails most often on any particular make/model. Early/mid 90's Taurus/Sable were invariably toasted planetary gear, for instance.

Mechanic-in-a-can won't hurt, as equinox suggests; that's pretty much the last resort. I was going to recommend not straying too far from home, but you've already taken that precaution.

Old 01-31-12, 07:45 AM
Been really busy so have not had much time to get back to the forum. Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on this issue.

I tried a lucas oil tranny treatment and it did not do anything to help the cause. The tranny continues to slip, and some days are better than others, the outside air temp seems to make a difference in how it performs.

For the time being, I'm leaving as is and am making inroads to purchasing another, this one is headed to car heaven sooner than later.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-31-12, 10:42 AM
iceracer,

I had a 90 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 the grand with the extra row of seats, I love that van. It was in great shape when I got it, and it was loaded, power everything. I didn't know it at the time I bought, but I found out later, they had a bad tranny design. I kept it going for 15 years, about 150,000 miles, and 4 trannies. It was finally starting to rust out, power steering was going, and needed a gas tank. So I sent it to the junk yard.