Engine missing

Old 05-31-11, 05:18 AM
Engine missing

Hello, I have a 1996 Toyota Camry, 4 cly. A couple of months ago I replaced sparkplugs and wires, engine was running well, now according to my scanner my #3 cylinder is misfiring. I bought a new distributor cap and rota, do I need to disconnect the battery to install parts and should a new o-ring have come with the cap ? Thank you, Al

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-11, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
Really no need to disconnect the battery for the work you are doing unless you think you might get a tool up against the main terminal on the starter, which is in the vicinity of the disributor.

I don't recall an oring on the distributor on that engine, unless you are talking about the shaft seal.

Are these Toyota parts or aftermarket?

Old 05-31-11, 01:04 PM
he's talking about a cap ring. it is not necessarily a "O" ring per se. it is shaped the way the cap is shaped where it mates with distributor body.
btw, just looked at co-worker's 96 Camry, 4 banger. has 4 coil packs, not a dizzy.

Old 05-31-11, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
The '95 we used to have was dist, the current Camry is coil packs. I don't remember what year they switched. If the '96's are coil pack, somebody screwed up on selling him cap & rotor.