'97 Honda Accord Trunk Lock

Old 06-03-11, 06:35 PM
'97 Honda Accord Trunk Lock

The locking mechanism for my trunk is frozen in the locked position - but the trunk itself is open. I've tried the trunk release handle as well as the master key in the trunk exterior lock and the master key in the valet lock. Nothing is working it won't release - suggestions?

This all started because I had an oversized load and had to tie the trunk lid down with rope - and I pushed on the trunk lock mechanism to put it in the closed position so I could thread the rope thru it and around the U to tie it down - When I pushed the mechanism closed it closed easily and all I pushed it with was my fingers and I (stupidly) assumed it would open when I turned the key in the lock.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-11, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Trying to visualize it. Try pushing the hook up further to see if the lock did not totally close. If that doesn't work, try pushing up into the lock with a screwdriver or large bolt head to imitate what the "U" would normally do. Either one may set the lock in the fully closed position so that it can then be released by the key or manual release.

Old 06-03-11, 07:18 PM
Ok tried both of those suggestions and neither worked. When I manipulated it to get it how it is now it was more a more "open" hook and by pushing into a more closed position was how I was able to thread the twine thru it and then tie it around the "U" - now it seems stuck in this closed or locked position and it won't come un stuck.

Old 06-04-11, 02:55 PM
well, what goldstar described worked for me too. but if it's not working for you, i am afraid, you have internal malfunction inside the latch mechanism. maybe a cable came off a pin, or something. of course, spraying some sort of good lube in first might help. if not, take the latch out for inspection.

Old 06-04-11, 03:18 PM
Thank Goodness for All Advise Forums!

After posting my question here, I found a Honda Accord Enthusist Fourm and posted the same question there - and one of their moderators told me to pull on the "hook" and turn the key in the lock at the same time - and it worked! I was pushing on the "hook" instead of pulling and I never turned the key at the same time so at least I got it fixed and Thank you everyone here for the good will.

Old 06-06-11, 11:22 AM
Sancta simplicitas!!--------------------------------