1990 Honda Accord Timing Belt Change

Old 06-09-11, 02:52 PM
1990 Honda Accord Timing Belt Change

I follow How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1 - Honda-Tech to change timing belt on my Accord. I got stuck on step 13 when I tried to loose adjusting nut for timing balancer belt tensioner and timing belt tensioner. This bold is hex and 10mm. It is close to inner wall of body that I can't use socket and ratchet. I used 12 points wrench and ends up rounded this hex bolt. Does anyone have any idea of how I can get it loose?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-11, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
A six-point wrench might be able to save it. Six point wrenches and sockets are less prone to rounding than 12 point.

Old 06-09-11, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the replied! six-point wrench is what I am going to test next. Any other tips in case I still can't get it loose while I am there.

Old 06-09-11, 07:17 PM
box wrench. they are very flat. overall thickness is maybe 3/8 inch. you want one that has pivoting handle, as it will fit at the angle if so needed.

like those guys here:

Amazon.com: Crescent FRP7 7 Piece 5/16-Inch to 3/4-Inch 72 Tooth Ratcheting Pivot Head Combination Wrench Set: Home Improvement

parts stores have them for about 20-30 bucks, but not pivot head.

Old 08-12-11, 09:21 PM
I bought 6-point wrench & use Liquid Wrench's penetration oil and still can't get it off. I even used torch to heat it, but didn't heat it to long. The bolt is 14mm. I am wondering is it just like regular bolt to get it off by counter clockwise direction? The 14mm 6-pint wrench rounded bolt's edges and I am totally out of any idea to get it off. Please help!

Old 08-17-11, 05:37 PM
Went to dealer and look at this nut and bolt. They are regular thread and should take it off by turning nut counter clockwise. I took off left engine mount bracket which attaches to engine (4 of 14mm bolts). Then, use pipe wrench with long pipe extension to give more torque. Initially, it keeps grip and round the circle edge of nut several times until this circle edge rounded out to the hex. Keep doing it with more grip on nut and finally able to take it off. I also found there is a missing rubber washer between nut and metal washer according to dealer's diagram. Timing belt was changed by a individual mechanic when it was 90K miles many years ago. I guessed he probably lost this rubber washer and don't bother to install one and tie nut to force bolt thread go beyond nut's thread. This nut has one end with round closed cap. Hope this help other people who has the same problem I had!