ignition coil testing question

Old 06-09-11, 05:06 PM
ignition coil testing question

Does the resistance for a coil change when car is warmed up vs. When car is cold? This is on a 1995 altima

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-11, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Probably a little bit, but I don't think there would be a significant change. How big a swing is there?

Old 06-09-11, 06:09 PM
I haven't tested yet. Just want info going in

Old 06-09-11, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
One of the electrician/electronics guys might be able to give us some insight, but my recollection is that there is some relationship between temperature and resistance. Higher temperatures result in some increase in resistence, but I don't know how much would be noticeable with an ignition coil. I recall articles in the past dealing with research in superconducting that dealt with extreme low temperatures and their effect on improving electrical conducting by reducing the resistence.

Old 06-10-11, 06:36 AM
Just trying to diagnose why my spazzy altima sputters after it warms up a bit. Thought it might have been bad gas but it would sputter all the time. Probably the distributor again but who knows.

thanx

Old 06-10-11, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
I can sympathize; my wrecker has started giving me a little intermittent stumble at idle when it gets warmed up. Been fiddling with it trying to find the source, but so far no luck.

Old 06-11-11, 05:42 AM
I think I found my particular problem leading to my sputter.

Loose upstream oxy sensor wire at the connector. I was talking to someone and not really paying attention until I either heard or felt a click when trying to push the rubber boot further up the connection.
A while ago I attempted to back probe this sensor for hot and cold running resistance and maybe it jiggled loose. file this under DUH for not reconnecting tested wire connections:NO NO NO:

Car runs a lot better but it's old and still has a small intermittent idle stumble that may have always been there.

have an ex neighbor's OBDII scanner and will run any possible codes--he said it was easy to use--guess I'll find out.

Check them wires!!

Thanx all