2005 Dodge Durango Fuel Tank Recall

Old 06-10-11, 08:07 PM
2005 Dodge Durango Fuel Tank Recall

My daugher's 2005 Durango developed the habit of spitting fuel out of the filler neck when she tries to fill up the tank. My independent service center new about the recall and told me that I might seek some repair relief there rather than pay him to do a rather expensive repair. Does anyone know or have access to just what is wrong with this vehicle's tank, and if Dodge won't fix it for her, what is the fix required? Does the fuel tank have to be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-11, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like two recalls on that:

FEB 03, 2005 | Recall ID# 27198

Recall Reason

FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP

Recall Date FEB 03, 2005

Model Affected

DURANGO

Potential Units Affected 26000

Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE FUEL TANK FILLER TUBE INLET CHECK VALVE MAY NOT FULLY CLOSE AT THE END OF REFUELING. THIS COULD ALLOW SOME FUEL TO ESCAPE FROM THE VEHICLE FILLER NECK.

Consequence
FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE INLET CHECK VALVES AND REPLACE THE FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 4, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION E01

===========================================

JAN 08, 2009 | Recall ID# 40367

Recall Reason

FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY

Recall Date JAN 08, 2009

Model Affected

DURANGO

Potential Units Affected 18951

Recall Summary
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 18,951 MY 2005 DODGE DURANGO VEHICLES. THE FUEL TANK FILLER TUBE INLET CHECK VALVE MAY NOT FULLY CLOSE AT THE END OF REFUELING. THIS COULD ALLOW SOME FUEL TO ESCAPE FROM THE VEHICLE THROUGH THE FILLER NECK AT THE END OF REFUELING.

Consequence
FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL TANK INLET CHECK VALVE. VEHICLES FOUND TO HAVE A SUSPECT INLET CHECK VALVE WILL HAVE THE FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes CHRYSLER LLC H45

Old 06-11-11, 09:00 AM
2005 Dodge Durango Spitting fuel

Thank you very much for the info. A copy of this is going with me to the Dodge Dealer on Monday. Can you believe that a dealer she called about this told her this would not be covered under a warranty but did not mention that it was a safety recall and to bring it in? That Dealer is going to get a letter from me with a carbon copy going to Chrysler...

Have a great weekend!

Old 06-11-11, 07:43 PM
Just because the recall says that it applies to Durango's doesnt necessarily mean it applies to YOUR vehicle. The recall only applies to vehicles in a particular VIN list. ie during a specific build period. If you want to either post or pm me the last 9 digits of the vin I will look it up and let you know if it is involved in the recall.

Old 06-12-11, 06:54 PM
Durango Fuel Tank Recall

Thanks for your note. The last nine digits of the VIN are: 25F600588. I as going to stop at at the Dodge Dealer tomorrow, but I will wait for your post back before I go now.

Thanks Again!

Old 06-13-11, 06:47 PM
Dodge Durango Spitting fuel

Well, according to the Chrysler Recall Hot line, this VIN number was not one recalled. It is being referred to a case manager for further review and action. Does anyone know if replacing the tank is the only way to fix this? If we have to pay for it ourselves, it would be nice to know if all it needs is a valve replaced or something.

Last edited by WML13; 06-13-11 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-14-11, 04:26 AM
Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner. That vin number does not show any open recalls. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that addresses this concern. It is a 3 step process meaning They want us (techs) to try 3 different things and each time we must fill the tank with fuel to see what fixes it. It is not always the fuel tank that is the culprit. If you a re mechanically inclined I can lay out some steps that might aid you in diagnosing this yourself without too much difficulty. Just let me know. As far as a valve that may be bad, unfortunately the valves are part of the fuel tanks so they are not repairable. There are 3 parts that at least 1 of will ultimately fix the vehicle. They are of couse the fuel tank, the filler neck, or the charcoal canister. There are some associated hoses, but some of them may come with these components.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 06-14-11, 11:44 AM

I am not afraid to tackle anything electrical or mechanical that I have a few instructions for. I will look forward to any tips you can send to me, and I have two weeks before my expensive diagnostic appointment at the Dodge dealer.

Thanks for replying, and your tips!

Old 06-14-11, 01:23 PM
The first step is to disconnect the vent tube. This tube runs alongside the filler turb to the fuel tank. Get under the vehicle and just above the rear axle on the left side you will see the filler neck tube. There is a small plastic line that runs down along the filler tube to the fuel tank. Along this line is a quick disconnect. To disconnect it squeeze the high sides of it and slide it apart. They can be tricky so dont get frustrated. Look at this line while you are under there as it goes to the fuel tank. There is a possibility that it could be crimped and this is not allowing the fuel tank to vent during filling. If not then disconnect the line there in the center or if you can reach it disconnect it from the fuel tank. Next go fill the tank and see what happens. If it no longer spits back then you want to replace the filler neck.
Let me know how it works out and if need be I will post some more steps.
Billy

Old 06-26-11, 05:41 PM

I finally got to look at the tubes you mentioned, but they were clear and looked fine to me. The dealer appointment came up last Friday so I bit the bullet and let them look at it. They wouldn't physically show me anything, just said it needed a new fuel tank. Tell me about the next step you wanted me to check. I put the dealer on hold until I get more information.

Thanks!

Old 06-26-11, 07:29 PM
Here are the remaining steps from this TSB. It begins with the first step that I had already posted.

5. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
6. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step #7
b. No>> Proceed to Step #11.
7. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
8. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.
9. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
10. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Replace fuel filler tube.
b. No >> Replace the vapor recirculation tube.
11. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
14-001-09 REV. A -2-
12. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
13. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> Replace Fuel Tank.
b. Yes >> Proceed to Step #14.
14. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
15. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP canister.
16. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
17. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent
hose), or filter. Diagnose appropriately.
b. No >> Replace the control valve to EVAP canister tube.

Most often the fuel tank does fix the problem so they may be skipping head a few steps to save time but if you can try the diagnostic steps here and see if you can verify their diagnostics.
Billy