2005 sequoia: won't start

Old 06-18-11, 04:40 PM
C
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
2005 sequoia: won't start

Tried to start the truck a while ago: turned the key and the engine started to turn but suddenly the starting process quit. After that when I turned the key to "start" there was a faint buzzing noise and the gauge needles were quivering slightly: the oil pressure and fuel gauge needles looked like they were trying to go lower than their usual "off" resting point, for instance. Nothing at all happened when I turned the key to the start position.

My wife came to rescue the kids and we tried to jump the battery. With jumper cables attached the car gave a clicking sound when I tried to start it, but the engine would not turn. The headlights would come on when the car was connected to the donor battery, but otherwise headlights would not come on.

I checked for loose battery cable connections at the battery but I did not think to check the other ends.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Dave O

Old 06-18-11, 04:57 PM
Received 105 Votes on 93 Posts
It sounds a lot like a bad battery to me. How old is the battery?

Old 06-18-11, 05:01 PM
C
At least 4 or 5 years old... but if it was the battery, shouldn't the jump have enabled it to start?

Old 06-18-11, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not always, Sometimes the batteries go bad & draw a load themselves..Also depends on the gauge of the jumper cables.. If they can't carry enough current because there too small, the car won't start with a boost.. That's why you see the Tow guys with cables the size of your wrist... Remove the battery & have it load tested & as CasualJoe states, I'm with him,, You need a battery... Also check the rest of the charging system.... Roger

Old 06-19-11, 07:51 AM
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
well, it does sound like battery. more even, it does sound like the oh so much typical corroded terminals, with white oxidation beard on them.
we could go into some elaborate jumping techniques (that's why they tell you to never jump off battery terminals) but i'd say, take a known good battery, and swap it out with one you have in your truck. CLEAN THE TERMINALS!!!!! if it starts - well,, you got the point. if not - THEN you start worrying.
btw, Toyotas do have starters issues... but normally if it clicks and not turns, it's a battery. who said your wife's battery is in tip top shape? and her car ECU runs ITS OWN engine as priority, THEN letting power out to loan.

Old 06-19-11, 07:56 AM
this will also help you greatly. have no idea why it's not sticky-ed yet, as abundant as no start questions are here:

Diagnose and Repair why Car doesn't Start or Stalls - Troubleshooting Flowchart from Starter through Spark Failure and Fuel Pump

also, when i said clean the terminals - make sure that if you have bolt-on terminals, meaning - there's a clamp on terminal that main cable is clamped into - is clean also. on non-clamp terminals, there are normally several cables coming together into a terminal, one of them being engine ground. they do corrode inside either.

Old 06-19-11, 06:51 PM
C
My hat is off once again to the knowledgeable folks on this forum: it was indeed the battery. I had tried to jump it with my wife's car using some thin gauge jumper cables, and got the clicking sound. Tried it again this morning with my little 4 banger and a different set of jumper cables I made using welding cables, and the truck started.

What threw me was the fact that the starter was turning when I first tried it- I thought sure it was a bad connection somewhere. I've run into this before, I'm thinking I'll get a load tester to be able to test batteries.

Thanks again for all your help-
Dave O

Old 06-19-11, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glad we could help & thanks lots for the feedback.... Roger

Old 06-20-11, 07:11 PM
Received 105 Votes on 93 Posts
My hat is off once again to the knowledgeable folks on this forum: it was indeed the battery
I was pretty knowledgable 35 years ago, but todays cars have changed like night and day from back then. There are a few things that haven't changed so much and a bad battery is one of them. Congrats on fixing your car.

Old 06-20-11, 07:54 PM
yeah, cheapo cables will do it, sure thing it is.. still need to clean your terminals. glad you got it figured.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: