noisy power steering pump

Old 06-19-11, 06:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
noisy power steering pump

My wife has a 2003 merc sable that I had replaced the power steering pump on. The pump was noisy [but worked well] so I got it replaced under warranty. The replacement is just as noisy

I'd rather not replace the pump again. Is there any type of power steering fluid or additive that would make the pump run quieter? The pump works fine, I just can't stand listening to it

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-11, 06:53 AM
Some people have told me that using synthetic PS fluid helps alot with typical noisy Ford PS pumps, and others add the Lube Guard Red product into the mix and swear by it, and of course there is always the Lucas products, and and and............ Maybe start with replacing the fluid first and see if that makes things better.

Old 06-19-11, 07:35 AM
Lucas. they have VERY GOOD additives for anything.

also, it's a Ford. nuff said. you might as well swap for aftermarket. on my Silverado, i have better success with items made in China and Mexico, than OEM ones.

Old 06-19-11, 09:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I see no indication OEM GM parts are made domestically anyway. Korea maybe, China for sure, Bangladesh possibly.

Old 06-19-11, 09:27 AM
With GM it all depends on the year and model and which group engineered the vehicle. When I was with them as things started to go south after 2000 there was a big push to source their parts from low cost countries as a so called way to reduce costs (LCC Strategy). That said, what they didn't source that way, many of their Tier 1 suppliers did with their own components. Delphi (Delco) comes to mind.

Old 06-19-11, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
My wife has a 2003 merc sable that I had replaced the power steering pump on. The pump was noisy [but worked well] so I got it replaced under warranty. The replacement is just as noisy

I'd rather not replace the pump again. Is there any type of power steering fluid or additive that would make the pump run quieter? The pump works fine, I just can't stand listening to it
The last time I thought I had a noisy Ford power steering pump it turned out to actually be a bad bearing in the belt tensioner.

Old 06-19-11, 11:19 AM
In my experience it has not always, in fact rarely, been a pump that has been the root cause of power steering noises. More often than not the noises are caused by a seal leak in the steering rack allowing air to enter. Air in the power steering fluid causes it to foam and therefore reduces its ability to fill the hydraulic system properly.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 06-19-11, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
thanks guys

I'm reasonably sure I have the system bled well. Not sure how a bad tensioner bearing would sound but it has a whine the increases with steering or increased rpm. I was thinking about using some of the Lucas ps oil in it - they claim it will quiet it down although the label calls it a stop leak.

She's left for work so unless I go get her car I won't mess with it until next weekend.

Old 06-19-11, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
mark...if you don't already have one..get a cheap mechanics stethescope. A bad tensioner or idler pulley would sound exactly as you describe. Easy to find with the scope.

In my experience PS pumps normally rattle or kinda clunk when they are making noise. Or was that water pumps? lol

Old 06-20-11, 02:51 PM
Great thread. My car seems to be making similar noises. When I first start my car and try to turn the wheels when the car is stationary or when I am making sharp turns very slowly it makes the power steering grinding noise, but once I get up to speed or moving it is fine. Would that be caused by the same things?

Old 06-21-11, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
futbolfan, are you sure the noise quits when up to speed? it maybe that the increased engine and road noise makes it harder to hear.

Vic, thanks - I'll try that when she gets home from work this weekend.

Old 06-21-11, 06:22 PM
I know it doesn't have anything to do with yours, but my on my Cummins I thought I had a bad PS pump. It was making noises and grabbing, so I parked it until I could find a replacement (and you don't want to get into this....like a 10 lb butt in a 5 lb pair of pants). Turned out the PS fluid was either burned or scorched. Drained it all out and replaced the fluid, fixed it.

Old 06-30-11, 02:48 PM
marksr, I am not sure if it stops when i get up too speed. haha I had never thought about it but pretty sure my car is too loud. I have tried to listen for it but I cant hear anything. But when I am stopped at a stop sign with the brake engaged, I tried turning the steering wheel and it would make the noises while I was holding it, but when I let go and released the pressure/stress on the steering, the noise stopped. i am a little confused at where to start

Old 06-30-11, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I drained off a half a quart or so of power steering fluid and replaced it with the Lucas PS oil - no change

I guess the saving grace is my wife likes to play the radio too loud apparently the whine bothers me more than it does her. The factory pump was quiet but leaked, both replacement pumps whine but seem to work fine

The idler and tensioner checed out fine, the noise is from the pump.

Old 06-30-11, 04:56 PM
aftermarket pumps? like I said, bud, it's Ford..
also, I am assuming you had pulley replaced along with pump, right? or simply transferred?
but for the sake of sanity, just try to phase it out... not worth it. works - amen!

Old 06-30-11, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had planned on reusing the pulley but there was a small chip on the edge and what looked like a crack on one side of the pulley so I replaced the pulley rather than take a chance.

Old 06-30-11, 05:08 PM
yeah... guess, it's just nature of them. loud music works well for me, esp driving my Silverado. just let it be, brother.

Old 06-30-11, 05:12 PM
Turbo whine, lift pump whirr, diesel noise in general....I don't hear anything abnormal

Old 06-30-11, 07:55 PM
does your vehicle have the pressure hose / tube with an oblong ball/canister built in to it?
if so - it is impossible to get the air out of the system without a vacuum adapter fitting for the pump-(it is a special tool that Ford dealers have/I have I one)
one way to tell if it has air in it is - after it has been sitting/cooled off-look at/watch the fluid level as someone else starts the engine-if the level drops-it is compressing air in the system.
these pumps ARE inherently noisy 1 problem is that most reman pumps do not get a 'new' rotor pack. just new seals.
I have rebuilt a many of these pumps,before the remans were available.

Old 07-01-11, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has that type of pressure line. As far as I know I've got all the air out of the system but I'll double check. I didn't notice any reference to a vacuum adapter in the Haynes manual.... but I didn't look all that close

Old 07-01-11, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know if the old school method still works on newer pumps, but in the good old days we would start the car and with it in neutral, turn the steering wheel lock to lock - full right to full left and back several times. That seemed to "burp" the system and cure the problem.

Old 07-01-11, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's what I've always done, didn't know there was a newer preferred method
There doesn't appear to be any air in the system - just noisy

Old 12-31-13, 12:22 AM
Remedy for a noisy Power Steering on FORD TAURUS or MERCURY SABLE

Hey y'all, I have a remedy for a noisy power steering that none of you on here seem to have stumbled upon!
The way these systems are set up: if the front struts are going bad, which in turn allows the car to sag lower and lower; it will put strain on the power steering system and steering rack: Subsequently, you'll get a whine and scream when turning.

If you are noticing any suspension clunks at all over bumps, and have the classic Taurus/Sable power steering squeal... then GUESS WHAT?! You need front struts. It has nothing to do with your actual Power steering pump being bad, just like the original questioner said,
New Pump, same problem.

Now, don't go too long putting all this strain on the car with bad struts. You can wear out suspension, and probably also cause more strain on your steering system too. So replace the struts/shocks ASAP. you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results.

GET NEW SHOCKS/STRUTS. The best price I've found is on eBay, and you can get a pair of front strut/spring, (complete assembly) for $120 to $130 and up.

I've done this fix before, buying them used at the junk yard too. If you're on a budget do it that way. Just look at the actual strut assembly for the ones with the least road grime and still visible stickers, or colors/paint. Just remember, sometimes the older cars have newer struts, so look carefully. Don't just look for the newest car at the junk yard. Good struts will have a lot of strength left in their hydraulics. Bad one's will be like a soloflex or worse! lol

GOOD LUCK!
-Z

Old 12-31-13, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Will have to wait and see if mark still has that Sable; the thread is 2 1/2 years old.

Old 12-31-13, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife's still driving it [now at 170k ] and it still whines While it's possible it could use new struts, I don't believe that's the issue as it will whine at an idle in park just like it does when driving in a straight line. I'd probably try harder to find a solution if I drove/rode her car on a regular basis

btw - welcome to the forums Zachary!

Old 12-31-13, 10:21 PM
try some friction modifier. the same stuff you put in differentials. old and new pumps have metal on metal rubbing actions. this make the motion smoother, hence quieter.

Old 01-01-14, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like the Lucas power steering fluid? it didn't seem to help any although it did take away a slight 'catch' that was in the steering.