1990 Mazda Miata overheating

Old 06-20-11, 02:42 PM
1990 Mazda Miata overheating

I have a '90 mazda miata that has been overheating for some time now. I know for a fact that it is not the thermostat, because when it gets to operating temperature I see the coolant flowing through the radiator when the cap is off. I'm pretty sure it's the fan motor, because when it overheats the fan is not running. Today when it overheated I popped the hood and spun the fan by hand and presto the fan started. I know that the fan is getting voltage when it is supposed to, because I checked it with a multimeter.
Wondering what you all think?

Thanx

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-11, 03:32 PM
I would hazard a guess and say the fan motor is failing, or the bearings in the fan motor are bad. Did it spin easily when you spun it?

Old 06-20-11, 04:20 PM
Yes it was easy to spin.

Jim

Old 06-20-11, 07:25 PM
Today when it overheated I popped the hood and spun the fan by hand and presto the fan started.
Given your circumstances, I'd risk the price of a new fan motor and hope the head gasket hasn't been damaged.

Old 06-21-11, 04:40 AM
How many times has it overheated and to what degree has it overheated? I would fathom a guess that the first thing to do is replace the fan and go from there. If it has overheated more than a couple of times to a severe point you could have done severe damage. Highly recommend replacing the thermostat for cheap insurance.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 06-25-11, 10:14 PM
Thanx for all the advice everyone. It hasn't ever overheated severly. I alway would keep an eye on the temperature gauge. The thermostat is real easy to get to so I think I'll do that also.

Thanx

Jim