Need Quick Help With A Question Involving The Caliper Sliders On A GM Car

Old 06-21-11, 05:21 PM
Need Quick Help With A Question Involving The Caliper Sliders On A GM Car

I'm replacing the rotors and pads (front and rear) on my wife's Malibu.

One question I have involves the caliper slider pins. I completely removed the caliper mounting bracket in order to replace the rotor but to also clean the bracket including the slider pins. What I found and do not understand is why does one pin in each caliper mounting bracket have a thick o ring in a groove at the end? It concerns me because after cleaning the pin and lubricating it with the proper brake lub the pin slides very hard almost like its sealed or air tight in the recess it fits into. The other pin slides very easy.

Can someone help me understand whether this is normal or how to get the pin with the o ring on the end to slide easily unless its not suppose to. Obviously the o ring serves some purpose but I don't know what. Should the o-rings be replaced because in time they swell?

I would appreciate any help I can get since I'm in the middle of replacing the pads and rotors.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-11, 06:44 PM
That pin only goes in one of the holes.The holes are different sizes for that purpose. I hope you didnt use brake fluid to lube the rubber o-ring. That would be bad!!!
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 06-22-11, 03:35 PM
Thanks billys68ss for responding.

Actually, on my wife's Malibu SS both pins and the pin bores in the caliper mounting brackets are the same exact diameters. The bores are about .005 or .006 larger than the pins. What I ending up doing was to replace the o-rings which solved the problem. I think the original o-rings had swollen enough to make them a very tight fit in the bores.

Old 06-22-11, 05:15 PM
I did brakes all the way around on a Chrysler Sebring today and it had the same type setup as yours. The pin with the rubber o-ring went on the top and it was a very snug fit. Glad you got yours figured out.