Astro van Check Guage and Stalling

Old 06-25-11, 03:01 AM
Astro van Check Guage and Stalling

96 Astro van.
Every now and then it used to stall when idle or creeping along. No warning lamps were lit.

Yesterday traveling at 55mph the engine just cut off and I had to brake hard to halt to one side and the check guage lamp lit.

Can anybody throw some light on to this problem? The fuel and oil are ok.

What is the best procedure to restart the engine when it stalls at speed?

Can the gear be shifted into N while moving (engine stalled) and ignition then turned on to then put back in D position all whilst still coasting?
Or else I would have to always come to a halt before attempting to restart.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-11, 04:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure of your access, but most better auto parts stores have the ability to run the codes on your car. That is the only way to tell what is going on with it. 1996 may be borderline for their equipment, however. Is this a US made vehicle or UK?

Old 06-25-11, 04:52 AM
It's a beautiful Tiara Conversion van from US. I'm in UK.
I do know a guy with the code reader who serviced it once a few months ago.

Took it out for a shopping run and all is fine. Just that I'm scared it would stall in the fast lane and I have to slide somewhere safe like in the middle of a lane

http://www.oneinsix.com/van7.jpg

Old 06-25-11, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Nice van. As I read it, the check engine light stayed on even after the restart? Until you can get it scanned, yes, you can slip the shifter up into N and try to crank. Couple of problems with this; #1 is running into something/someone while your attention is on are doing this. #2 is accidently going past N to D or P which would be very bad.

Possible fuel filter/fuel pump problem, but those don't normally light the check engine light.

Old 06-25-11, 05:34 AM
Only the check gage lamp was lit once or twice when stalled. Not the service engine or anything else. Once restarted the lamp went off.

I take it the brakes have to be applied to shift the gears about? Or can I shift it to P carefully without braking when it has stalled at speed. It's the slow lane for me from now on until I get it seen to.

More pics of yank van here. 1-in-6 LIMO in Oneinsix Forum

Old 06-25-11, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, with the engine off and the key on, the light is supposed to be lit, just like when you first start it. That's to show you the light works, same as with the oil light and the others that come with the key before starting.

No, you cannot shift into P while moving ; even if you could get it to go there you'd destroy the transmission. The only place you can go while moving is N. You can also shift down into L (1) or 2, but there is no advantage to that; the safety switch will only allow you to crank in P or N. If the shifter mechanism is working as designed you should be able to simply move the lever up from D to N without any special movements or stepping on the brake. To get it to go further, into R or P you would have to pull the lever towards you (for a column shift) to defeat the safety feature or for a floor shift, push in the safety button. You can explore how this works while standing still and the engine off.

I caution you again, that this is probably not a good idea to do if you're not comfortable with how it all works.

Old 06-25-11, 05:56 AM
Thank you for keeping up.

Sorry I meant shift to N not P. Anyway I try not to do this.
All the dash lights work when turning the key, the brake, oil lamp etc.
I put a little more petrol (gas) into it just to make sure the pressure is there. It also runs on LPG (propane).

Until I get it serviced again I'll run it on just petrol to be sure that it's not LPG issue.

Old 06-25-11, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
Interesting setup, not sure I've ever seen that.

Old 06-29-11, 12:12 PM
It looked ok until today when it cut out when driving. At least that more or less rules out the fuel delivery problems.
It's now towed to to be fixed. Maybe a sensor problem or loose wiring. Will let you know.

I just came from a wedding over the weekend and did around 100 miles. Thank god the van stood up. Me and the van sort of know each other ...

Old 06-30-11, 03:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dual fuel opens a new can of worms....do you have to manually change a selector from one fuel to the other? Are you running on gas or propane when this happens?

Old 06-30-11, 03:41 AM
It starts up on petrol then once warm it reverts to LPG. There is a button that once depressed knocks off the LPG and remains on petrol forever until I depress it again.

It has cut out on both fuels. Once the garage has fixed it I will post the results.

Old 07-03-11, 05:52 AM
They rang to say there's no spark and it's the ignition module that's under the distributor that's knackered.

Strange as according to Haynes manual, there's no mention of a module after 1994. All the instructions are for earlier models and mine is a 1996 van. 'W'

Old 07-13-11, 01:54 AM
Vin number 1GDDM19W4TB503313

Latest on the mechanic: it's not the ignition module. They are looking at the coil or crankshaft position sensor, which they said was water logged. Part supplier is up north and will take a day or so. If it still doesn't fire up then they said ECU problem. That sounds expensive.
A lot of tinkering for a seemingly simple not firing up problem.
Their OBD2 device I take it still not gives a reading. Next time I will take it to where I serviced it last with a working scanner.

Old 07-13-11, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
The scanner may or may not be a help. The crank sensor would show up if bad, but items like the ignition module and coil do not give an error code as they are not monitored components like the crank sensor, O2 sensor, etc. The ignition parts can be tested individually or swapped out for a known good part to check. Never hurts to get a good scanner on it, though. Some of the worst hair-pulling I've done on my wrecker ('94 GM drivetrain) have been ignition-related problems.

Old 08-02-11, 08:50 AM
Work carried out: Renew ignition module, crank shaft sensor and coil
Parts: Pick up sensor, crank position sensor, ignition coil.

I didn't ask but renew ignition module isn't one of the parts replaced?
What is the pick up sensor?

Anyhow it is working and van being 16 years old it eventually needs things replacing. I'm happy but out of $500.

Chasing rope lights and tinsel on aerial

Old 08-02-11, 10:05 AM
I am thinking that they could be referring to the cam position sensor inside the distributor. It is also possible that they replaced all the parts until they solved the issue and there is then the possibility that not all were bad but at this point there is no way of knowing.

Old 08-02-11, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
"Renew" also has a different meaning here in the colonies...here it wouldn't apply to a car repair very much.

Possibly they meant replace with new? Isn't the pickup sensor considered an ignition module since it's in the distributor?

Search this Thread