2000 Chrysler T & C Van rear brake problem.

Old 06-25-11, 09:28 AM
2000 Chrysler T & C Van rear brake problem.

I have attempted to remove rear brake drums on my 2000 Town & Country Van without success. The hub seems to be frozen, however, I think the drums have a ridge around them which is also preventing removal.

I've been advised to turn the star wheel inside the drum through an opening on the bottom. This van does not have an opening with a star wheel, which is typical. It does have a large gear (1 1/2") on the axle side of the backing plate (outside of the plate and I don't know its purpose. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-11, 10:51 AM
When you look at the axle side of the backing plate I think there should be a flat rubber plug that you can remove which then opens up the access hole to back off the adjusted brake linings. Normally using a brake adjuster tool, but also a slot screwdriver will work, place the tool on the gear and pull it downwards two or three times. I think this should pull the linings in enough for you to slide off the drum. If the drum is rusted to the wheel studs a few good taps with a hammer should free it up.

Old 06-25-11, 12:10 PM
No Rubber Plug

There are three rubber plugs on the backing plate at 12, 4, and 8 o'clock. There is none at the bottom. In place of the bottom plug there is a metal plate attached inside the backing plate. No star wheel is exposed at either of the three plug openings.

What is the large (1 1/2") gear on the outside of backing plate and might that be something in place of star wheel?

Thanks for the response.

Old 06-25-11, 01:02 PM
Normally the plug is right next to where the brake line goes into the wheel cylinder on the top of the plate. The little ratchet gear adjuster is right at the wheel cylinder on the top 12 o'clock position. Perhaps someone familiar with your van can answer about the star wheel. Some on this forum are pros and work on Chrysler products everyday.

Old 06-25-11, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll look again. Hope some Chrysler man can see the post and confirm. Hopefully the drum is not frozen to axle hub.

Old 06-25-11, 03:22 PM
The adjuster is at the bottom of the backing plate behind that plugged knock out. You will have to knock it out with a hammer and a chisel/punch. The large wheel on the outside of the backing plate is the tone wheel for your ABS. DO NOT damage this... That would make for a bad day! If the drum moves on the hub then it isnt rusted to it. If it is its a pretty simple fix. A little rust penetrant and a few swacks with a hefty hammer. I hit it along the edge of the face of the drum. It is strongest and thickest here and gives leverage to the hits!
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

P.S. I am going out for a bit, but I will check back when I get back.

Old 06-25-11, 03:43 PM
Sounds like a great answer. I will not be able to check this out for a couple of days, but you can be sure I'll respond when I do. Thanks a lot.

Old 06-25-11, 08:12 PM
i did brake work for a chry dealer for 5 years-6 years ago *when your van was fairly new)
i recall it being a real pain to do what you are trying to do-until i got good at it.
best i remember- you will need a piece of coat hanger wire the right length-to reach through the hole & find-by feel the self adjuster lever-& push it off the star wheel(it prevents the star from turning backwards).
while at the same time turning the star with a brake spoon (2 tools in the hole at 1 time)you could go to the parts house-buy this adjuster& lever kit-so you can see what you are trying to do.
'I' seem to remember the adjuster being just under the wheel cylinder.

Old 06-26-11, 01:03 PM
Oops...Now I'm confused. I guess I don't want to punch out the slot on the bottom if the adjuster is at the top under the brake cylinder...Hmmm. Will have to look at it again.

Old 06-26-11, 01:20 PM
The confusion including with my earlier response is that on some cars the adjuster is on the top adjacent to the wheel cylinder and on others it can be on the bottom independant of the wheel cylinder. Also many cars have a rubber seal that pops off for adjustment. It sounds like yours does not. I am only a DIYer and no expert but billy68ss is a pro and does this work everyday if that helps you. I wasn't able to find a pic of your brake assy on the net unfortunately either.

Old 06-26-11, 06:39 PM
Actually Equinox is correct. The brake adjuster is directly below the wheel cylinder and above the ABS tone ring. I forgot about this layout. I havent done any of them in awhile. This does make it a bit of a pain to get in there to let some slack out of that adjuster. I usually use a small pocket screwdriver and the adjusting spoon. Slip the screwdriver in and push the lock tab up and then back the adjuster off with the spoon. Here is a pic that will hopefully help.

Search this Thread