Toyota Corolla 2007 LE Power pack

Old 06-27-11, 04:16 AM
Toyota Corolla 2007 LE Power pack

HI
The right rear door won't open from the inside only.
Is it a fuse or a connection in the door?
Probaly in the door cause it will open from the out side.
How do you begin to take enough of the panel apart to find the problem ?
Should I disconnect the negative cable.
I'm 71 and sort of sore/sick so is it a job that takes a lot of umphh?
Thanx a lot
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-11, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
No need to disconnect the battery cable.

It'll likely be a disconnected linkage rod inside the door, the one from the latch to the inside handle.

Taking the door panel off isn't especially hard, but it can be a PITA, not one of my favorite tasks. Generally on Toyotas you have to first remove the inside door handle assembly, usually one screw and then the housing slides sideways to disengage two small plastic hooks on the back of the housing that hook on slots in the door itself. Then when you have it free of the door you have to unhook the linkage to get it out of the way. When you get that far, what you might find is that the attaching part for the linkage on the handle assembly has broken off. If that's the case, get a replacement handle and reassemble with no need to remove the door panel. If that portion of the linakge is intact you will need to remove the inner door panel. There may be a couple of screws, but mostly it will be held in place by push-in plastic fasteners on the backside. There's a special tool that makes it easier to separate the panel from the door, but it can be done with anything that is wide and flat, like a good putty knife. You just slip the tool or whatever between the surfaces and gently pry them apart, working your way around the edges. No fasteners on the upper edge; once the other three sides are free you lift the inner panel up slightyl to disengage the lip at the top. Somewhere in the process you will need to disconnect the control panel on the door panel if this is electric locks & window. Sometimes this is done after getting the panel partially off and for some cars you remove the panel from the inner panel before removal and then disconnect the electrical connector. If the linkage is loose inside the door rather than at the handle assembly, you might consider getting it fixed at a garage; working through the holes in the door itself once you get the inner panel removed can be frustrating. It's one of those jobs you can have a go at and if you get hung up somewhere you can stop and go somewhere to get it done.

Old 06-27-11, 05:12 AM
door

It sounds pretty much like what I used to do years ago and is APITA.
I am going to stop by a garage and see what they want then decide to leave as is or not.
I do appreciate all the typing you did and I'm keeping your mesage as reference jst in case I decide to try it.
Thanx a lot.
Peter

Old 06-27-11, 05:39 AM
Before you do anything else, does your rear doors have child lock protection switches on the inside of the door jam by the lock striker opening? If somehow it was moved into a different position that will also only allow the door to open from the outside handle. Just another thing to check. If you have one it is a two second correction if was moved.

Old 06-27-11, 05:46 AM
I second Equinox post. When I started reading the description of the problem I immediately thought about the child safety locks. Check this before you do anything else!!!

Old 06-27-11, 09:00 AM
door

Hey guys
I was just about to write that I found the problem when I saw your post about the child lock.
I tried the child lock on the console but that was for windows so I figured that's all there was. I am always thumbing thru the manual, too.
I gave it a second look right at the ?latch itself and sure enough,"child safety lock". As soon as I clicked it, it worked.
I am really sorry to take your time up by not being thorough but thank you all for your help.
Peter - see what happens when you get old

Old 06-27-11, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! How could I miss that? All our Toyotas the last couple of decades have had that. Have even had the same problem, though not recently.

Old 06-27-11, 01:13 PM
yeah, and with power windows, there's infamous "windows on-off" switch in the driver side door panel, that has tendency to be pressed with elbow. and thereafter you spend hrs taring everything apart looking for problem. or listening to your "significant other" gripe.

Old 06-27-11, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
The power window disable I probably would have remembered, the rear door child lock is out of sight/out of mind.

Search this Thread