2007 Kia Sportage

Old 06-30-11, 01:32 PM
2007 Kia Sportage

The air conditioning on my KIA Sportage is fine if the car is moving. If the car is idling, it becomes really hot. What could be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-11, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Small cars...small radiators...not designed to cool at other than driving speeds. Most cars will not cool efficiently when idling or in traffic. Not like the old days with different refrigerants and no concern for mileage.

If the cooling fan is kicking in when parked and the A/C is turned on...then it's probably normal. Most shops would charge about $100-125 to check for proper operation and adjust coolant charge if required.

Old 06-30-11, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the reply but this has just started happening. It used to stay cool all of the time.

Old 06-30-11, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Then you need to take it to a shop...have them vacuum test it and refill. You prob have a small leak that is just now making itself known.

Thats assuming the fans are kicking on as I described earlier.

Old 06-30-11, 05:05 PM
4 years in service.. might be slightly low on freon.
does it have dedicated a/c belt? that one might be loose. or, if it's single serpentine belt, belt is "getting there".
for the sake of it, pressure wash radiator. bugs, dust, dirt can plug honeycomb and cause less air flow through it.

BTW, my 2007 Camry Hybrid "cycles" through cooling. basically, it will shot some cold air in, cool internal temperature down to whatever i have it set to, then "idle" at that temperature. as it goes up, it will cool again/"idle". but it's a hybrid, everything there is geared towards economy.