How to replace Struts on 2004 Infiniti FX35

Old 07-03-11, 01:05 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to replace Struts on 2004 Infiniti FX35

I have an infiniti fx35 with 170k miles on it. Besides replacing the strut itself. What other componants can I replace or reuse?

Is it a good idea to replace the springs?

Also I have air tools but I'm more than willing to take the old struts with new parts and pay the extra couple of bucks. Does anyone know of any place in central NJ around princeton\hamilton\trenton area.

I had changed springs years ago and had a compressor slip on me but I did not get hurt.

Thanks for you help

Old 07-07-11, 06:09 PM
D
????????????? Can someone reply to this?

Old 07-07-11, 07:00 PM
J
Some parts you can reuse from the old strut would be: the bump stop, dust boot (if equipped), the factory spring perch, and any clips holding brake lines or ABS lines.
With that many miles it wouldn't hurt to change the springs too. If they are in decent shape with no rust you could reuse them. Be sure to check near the ends of the coil for any signs of rust, cracks, or breakage. Always be safe when using a spring compressor and make sure the safety pins are in place. As you know, there is a lot of force if it happens to slip off! If you want a shop to do the work just do a Google search for reputable repair shops in your area.

Old 07-13-11, 06:45 AM
D
Thanks. I was thinking about replacing the springs also. I will probably go through with it. thanks,

Old 07-13-11, 10:37 AM
D
How about the strut bearings and upper strut plate? Should I at least replace the strut bearings on each side? they are not making any noise but since they are moving part should i at least replace the bearing?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: