Keeping black car clean :(

Old 07-04-11, 03:06 PM
Keeping black car clean :(

Hey guys, i just recently bought a new ford fusion, the car is great, but the problem is its black (it was the only one on the lot), and i have to travel a couple miles of gravel every other day. So you can imagine as quick as the tires hit the road 3/4 of the car is covered in dust. Has anyone come up with anything like a wax or something that helps to repel the dust or atleast keep it from clinging?

Right now i have the car polished with some John Deere Soybean based wax (best wax ever) so i can easily wipe it off with my California duster. I had been told that spoilers can also help keep dust down, is that true?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-11, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Aside from painting it brown , black is not the ideal color for a dusty road, as you are seeing. I doubt there is anything that will help keep it clean besides a daily wash/rinse.

Old 07-04-11, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, we bought a new black jeep last year. Most any dark color will take a lot of washing to keep it looking clean if you travel any gravel or dirt road. Wax does seem to help some. When the new wears off - it won't bother you as much.

I had a neighbor that custom ordered a ford truck. I questioned his choice of colors; brown and it just didn't look all that sharp..... but clean or dirty - it pretty much looked the same

Old 07-04-11, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
The nano type spray on detailers do a great job of letting thing be easily rinsed and blown off. Not that you shouldn't wax...but more for those in betweens after washing.

Like chandler said...hey..you bought a high maintenance color.

Old 07-04-11, 04:19 PM
Like chandler said...hey..you bought a high maintenance color.
Yep, I have one with Dark Ink Blue (almost black). It looks great for 1 or 2 days after washing and chamois drying. Lighter colors don't show the dirt as bad while getting just as dirty.

Old 07-04-11, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Hi.

I have had many black vehicles. The problem with black is after you wash it you see all the swirl marks.

I have been using Liquid Glass for 27 years. Its alittle pricy but worth every dime. I have never used anything else. Once you use it and see you will not use anything else. It makes cars look like, well... "GLASS"

Comes off real easy. You will see. A small can is about $14-$18 bucks in the auto store.

Its amazing on chrome. The Harley blinds me in the sun. Ugg... next bike will have no chrome. All black.

ITS THE ONE IN THE TIN CAN.....................

Liquid Glass Polish/Finish from ShopMPT.com

Good luck.

Our family used to throw money on the floor of the new car someone buys. This was done throughout generations in my family. The reason was after you bought the car you had no money. When you needed gas you looked for the loose change on the floor. Back then $75 cents would put 3 gallons in the tank. It may have been a Italian thing.

Mike NJ

Old 07-04-11, 05:33 PM
yeah.. i am so much tempted to say something, but i'll shut up. it's done and over, it is what it is.

my grandpa was - initially - a coach maker, from a technical "college" back in very early 20th century Austria. later on, he became a body and paint guy, and one of the best in the city. so, here's the thing. as much as i understand your desire to keep it clean, the less you'll be washing it, the better you'll be off. it's a question of simple mechanical damage done by even hand touch to the paint layer.

just my 2 cents.

Old 07-04-11, 06:21 PM
it is simply just letting the new rub off, my old car was a dark dark blue and it was dirty all the time but it didn't bother me cause it was my work vehicle, now my work vehicle is less than a year old, oh well. The swirl marks do really stand out too, i'll look into this Liquid Glass, can't hurt to try it. i've been a fan of Blue Coral wash and then i use, like i said, John Deere's Soybean biodegradable wax, its about $15 a bottle but can be put on in direct sunlight and comes off just a easy as it goes on. I hated that old turtle wax, once you put it on you had a grind it off.

Old 07-04-11, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
I looked for the JD stuff...but all I could find was a cleaner/wax...which you definitely don't want to use all the time. Got a link?

Oh...to get the new off just park really close to the drivers side of a big old Buick or similar at the local Mega Mart. Once that happens you won't care as much.

Old 07-06-11, 07:01 PM
i can't find a good link for it, but its John Deere #TY16169 Ultra Gloss Polish Wax, the local jd dealer keeps it on hand. i usually only apply it once, maybe twice a year.