2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - mixing different brands of universal coolant?

Old 07-05-11, 11:39 AM
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - mixing different brands of universal coolant?

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that had a rear heater core leak last winter. I was able to fix the leak but I had to add two different brands of universal coolant. Is there any problem with having two brands of universal coolant in the same engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 12:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is "universal" coolant? Do you mean ethylene glycol? Some manufacturers (GM) require you use the orange antifreeze due to certain components in their engines. I don't think you will do harm if the brands are compatible with the engine manufacturer's specifications.

Old 07-05-11, 12:35 PM
The type like Prestone makes, states "ALL MAKES ALL MODELS - mix with any colour antifreeze"... Prestone Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant | Canadian Tire

Old 07-05-11, 12:54 PM
Yes, you'll be fine with that. I just didn't want you to think Propolyene glycol would be compatible with ethylene glycol. Sierra is the former, Prestone the latter.

Old 07-05-11, 01:02 PM
I put one jug of the Prestone in and then one jug of this "universal" brand: http://www.princessauto.com/workshop...freeze/coolant. Any issue with these two brand used at the same time? They are both universal...

Old 07-05-11, 01:31 PM
"Princess" auto, you're kidding, right? As long as it is ethylene glycol it will be compatible with the Prestone. I wouldn't make it a habit of mixing it, however. Try to stick to one brand.

Old 07-05-11, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
"Princess" auto, you're kidding, right? As long as it is ethylene glycol it will be compatible with the Prestone. I wouldn't make it a habit of mixing it, however. Try to stick to one brand.
History of Princess Auto

Old 07-05-11, 01:53 PM
only for GM OEM coolant. their coolant gumms up if mixed with other coolants. aftermarket cought on this and now sells coolants that, per label, can be mixed with anything.

Old 07-05-11, 01:57 PM
I shouldn't have made fun, but you'll have to admit it isn't as "manly" as SPIKE's auto parts, or something along those lines. Take care!!

Old 07-05-11, 03:30 PM
no problem Chandler, Princess Auto has A LOT of great stuff! If you ever make it to Canada, check one out.