Camry clunks on acceleration

Old 07-14-11, 06:46 AM
Camry clunks on acceleration

Hi -
My '02 Camry is giving me a slight noticeable noise (& feel) on acceleration.
The local radio car-guy says it's a front engine mount, since Toyota trannies are usually trouble-free. 98000 miles on the odo.
The 4 cyl. engine mount R&R looks pretty straight forward; but, since I haven't done one I'm seeking knowledge.
There's the 'dog-bone' up top and the large one front-bottom.
Are there others? My Haynes manual was no help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-11, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Another big one in the back like the front one and also one under the tranny, left frame rail.

We're on our 2nd 4 cyl Camry (175,000+ on the first; 130,000 on the current); the only mount I've ever had to change was the dog bone.

Typical troubleshooting is to put it in Drive, hold the brakes HARD, and give it a little gas CAREFULLY while observing the engine & mounts to see where the movement is, if any. The dogbone can generally be visually inspected and if it's bad is usually quite obvious.

Old 07-14-11, 10:52 AM
Tried it, and the engine flexed a bit; the dog-bone center-bolt looked like it "freed" (For want of a better description) when the engine flexed; approx. 2".
Can it be something else?

Old 07-14-11, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
2" seems like a lot to me

Old 07-14-11, 11:32 AM
Well, there we are. So - are there aftermarket brands worth buying, most especially not from a sweat-hole in Wuhan? NAPA, maybe? I've heard they're stuff is good.

Old 07-14-11, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Any of the major suppliers is fine, I generally use CarQuest; not something I would ever buy from a dealer. Wherever you get it, it'll be Chinese or Mexican manufacture very likely.

Old 07-14-11, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Any of the major suppliers is fine, I generally use CarQuest; not something I would ever buy from a dealer. Wherever you get it, it'll be Chinese or Mexican manufacture very likely.
Good stuff, And top-shelf help!
Tow-Guy & Mitch many, many thanks
Jim in MA

Old 07-15-11, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Don't be surprised if you change one mount and still have the problem. Sometimes there's more than one bad and you don't find the other bad one(s) until you start replacing them.

As mitch mentioned, 2" is a pretty fair amount of movement; I think you're going to be amazed at how well things feel when you get it fixed up.

Old 07-15-11, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
I had an '86 Chevy Celebrity with the 2.5L 4 which was shaking way more than it should. Had the mounts replaced to no effect only to find out the shop had only replaced the dog bone. Only once another shop replaced the one underneath did the car settle down for me.

Old 07-29-11, 04:37 PM
Cool Smoooooth... thanks!

I R&R'd the 'dogbone' on top of the engine - easy !
It's hugely improved, but I wonder if I should have done the one down in front of the engine behind the radiator - the reason being that the
two would 'share' the stress of acceleration. The car is at 99000,
so I'd like to get to 200K with it. Then, it's the RR and subway for me.
Do I change it out?:

Old 07-30-11, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think I would change it, absent some indication it's bad. Got 131k on our '01 on original mounts. I changed the dogbone awhile back but it was just on suspicion it may have a bit of slop in it; hadn't had any symptoms. Isn't that front one a bit pricey?

Search this Thread