Kia Sportage 2002-CODE: P0440 & P0171-Check Engine Light Stays On

Old 07-16-11, 02:25 PM
Angry Kia Sportage 2002-CODE: P0440 & P0171-Check Engine Light Stays On

I'm new to this site and hoping I can get some help.
The check engine light to my KIA Sportage 2002 is on. I took it to AutoZone and they gave me a print out of the codes (P0440 & P0171).
Now, I had the Spark plugs and Wires changed. Some type of filter was changed. Now recently on a Friday I had an Oxygen Sensor replaced. When the shop guys replaced it they told me I had to drive the car at least 60 miles so then I can come in an pass inspection. I only drove about 10 miles and the check engine light came back on. Its a steady light not flashing or anything. It does not go off and on when it pleases. Just stays on.

Does anyone have a Kia Sportage that had dealt with the same check engine light problem? And if so was it ever fixed? and if it did get fixed What part and what was done to get it fixed so the check engine light stays off?

I really hope someone can point me into the right direction here. Money is so damn tight right now to keep going back to the shop. Parts plus labor... its too much.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-11, 03:34 PM
Technical Description

Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction
What does that mean?

This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer fuctioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.
Symptoms

You likely won't notice any drivability problems.
Causes

A code P0440 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

The gas cap is not installed or working properly
The purge solenoid has failed
The canister is plugged and not working properly

Possible Solutions

With a P0440 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the code, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses
Inspect for damaged or disconnected hoses around the Evap purge solenoid
Check and/or replace the sensor
Check and/or replace the purge valve
Have a professional use a smoke machine to detect leaks

Technical Description

O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
What does that mean?

This code means that the heated circuit in the oxygen sensor on bank 1 decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The ECM tracks how long it takes for the oxygen sensor to begin switching. It the ECM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0141. See also: P0135 (Bank 1, Sensor 1).
Symptoms

You will likely notice poor fuel economy the illumination of the Check Engine Light.
Causes

A code P0141 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

open or short to ground in the wiring harness
O2 heater circuit wiring high resistance
O2 heater element resistance is high
Internal short or open in the heater element

Note: Typically a failed catalytic converter does not cause this code. You're more likely to see a P0420 code for a failed converter.
Possible Solutions

Replace oxygen sensor (cannot repair open or short that occurs internally to sensor)
Repair short or open or high resistance in wiring harness or harness connectors

Old 07-16-11, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reply ukrbyk but I've seen this answer online (same as in word for word).

I don't need someone to cut and paste an answer to me. I did state "Does anyone have a Kia Sportage that had dealt with the same check engine light problem? And if so was it ever fixed? and if it did get fixed What part and what was done to get it fixed so the check engine light stays off?"

I know all cars are different and what fixed one Check Engine Light may be different from another CEL. But who knows if "A" replies with a part that was replaced and says the CEL was off after that, I would try what "A" did and who knows, my light may go off also and problem fixed.

I wish I had the money to sit there and get all that stuff on the list done, but I don't
So anyone with the same issue (Check Engine Light Stays On) and the same codes (P0440 & P0171) please reply if and only if you got it fixed.

Old 07-17-11, 06:54 AM
if you do not have time and money to replace gas cap and O2 sensor, a picture of significant other, strategically placed to cover that light, works well. on any car and make.

Search this Thread