Clogged fuel tank filler neck.

Old 07-17-11, 11:12 AM
Clogged fuel tank filler neck.

Last Sunday I had the tank on my 2008 Subaru filled. I drove back and forth to work all week with no problems. Went to fill up the tank today and gas poured out right away. None went into the tank. The gas tank door can only be opened with an inside release lever. So I don't suspect someone shoved anything into my tank unless they forced the door open. I've never done that myself, but I would expect to see marks around the filler door. My next guess is that the filler on the gasoline pump had some junk stuffed into it before I tried to fill my tank and it came out and clogged me. Anyone else have other possible ideas?

I tried another pump and it did the same thing. The gasoline will sit above the little spring flap and not go down if you push it open.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-11, 11:26 AM
you need to find a bore scope and have a look.

Old 07-17-11, 11:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Couldn't imagine anything inserted into the gas nozzle would push out and stop up the tube that fast. I agree, you need a bore scope to see what is happening. In addition, check the breather tube that runs parallel to the main tube. If air isn't allowed to return to a point above the nozzle, you will encounter similar actions, although a slow fill will be possible.

Old 07-17-11, 12:13 PM
I dropped it off at the mechanic. We'll see what they say. I'm sure it will cost a lot of money. If not, certainly a lot of hassle.

Old 07-17-11, 12:16 PM
so much for DIY

Old 07-17-11, 12:20 PM
Hah. I do a lot of DIY, but some things I leave to the experts. I don't have time to figure it out myself either. I don't even have a bore scope or the interest in buying one.

Old 07-17-11, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
I would have stuck a coat hanger down there. Vapor lock?????

Mike NJ

Old 07-17-11, 12:32 PM
how much fuel did the gauge say ?

Old 07-17-11, 12:59 PM
I went through this with the idiots at the gas station that kept telling me it was full. I filled up a week ago and commuted 5 days to work. Thats about 250 miles. The tank indicated 1/4 full.

I thought about shoving something down there, but I thought that if something was in the filler neck, I didn't want it to go into my tank. Not sure if anything could clog my fuel pump like that.

Old 07-17-11, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
You mean the idiots at the local Wawa's that place your gas cap on the filler without tightening??? The ones that cause me a 3 hour search to figure out why my check engine light is on????

Ya, and most are college graduates. The world will be scary with them in charge of our future.

Mike NJ

Old 07-17-11, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
I went through this with the idiots at the gas station that kept telling me it was full. The tank indicated 1/4 full.

I thought about shoving something down there, but I thought that if something was in the filler neck, I didn't want it to go into my tank. Not sure if anything could clog my fuel pump like that.
i was wondering. because if it was full. the tech would have to drain the tank some, in order to disconnect the filler neck from the tank and have a look see and/or replace it.

that depends on what that something is. but if its something solid, it would not block or damage the fuel pump.

Old 07-17-11, 05:59 PM
ahem, there are reports from multiple KIA owners that have charcoal clogging filler neck. Appears, KIA chose to place charcoal canister somewhere right next to it, with some sort of connection between the two. For reasons unknown, charcoal gushes into filler neck and comes out of it. Of course, SUBARU will not be that dumm, right?

Old 07-17-11, 06:52 PM
I think those canisters have to do with emission controls and are present on all new vehicles. Whether or not the Subaru version is a POS like Kia is yet to be determined.

Old 07-18-11, 03:25 PM
yes, they are, but they are placed in different areas on different makes. so far, every single one i ever saw was in engine bay. KIA chose different.

Old 07-18-11, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
they are placed in different areas on different makes. so far, every single one i ever saw was in engine bay.
man. you are looking at some OLD cars. pretty much anything the last 20 years is somewhere underneath in the back.

Old 07-18-11, 08:58 PM
well, 1999 is probably not 20 yo, but yes, thereafter - it's back there somewhere.

Old 07-19-11, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
Ahem. I must have missed the year/make/model somewhere in the thread, but you need to check, or have your mechanic check for recalls or TSBs on the issue on your particular vehicle.

ukrbyk, and others, didn't we have a thread running recently on this issue?

Okay, I was reading too fast early on; 2008 Suburu.

Still Check recalls/TSBs. A recall would be a free fix.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 07-19-11 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Add'l info
Old 07-19-11, 12:26 PM
yes sir! that's where that KIA came from. I was not sure if we had it here or at another DIY forum though. But yes, owner had charcoal coming out of filler neck, and shop was telling him big bucks for cleaning all that mess.

Old 07-19-11, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure I rmember that one; I was thinking it was check-valve related and we kicked it around a bit.

Old 07-19-11, 06:36 PM
Well. Mechanic checked it all out. Scoped it, checked the vent, checked for TSB's and recalls. Didn't find anything wrong. Took it to the gas station and it took gas fine. I'm sort of glad nothing was "wrong", but I'm sure this will happen again and still remain a mystery.

Old 07-19-11, 07:16 PM
VAPOR LOCK!!! i've heard about those happen.

Old 07-19-11, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Hey!!! I said "vapor lock" in post #7.....DOH!!!!!!

Drooplug its been a scorcher here in Jersey. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Also like I said in post #10, those stations continually leave my cap loose. Possibly yours if you have never checked after a fill up. I mean the cap is literally just placed on there.

Since its a emmisions thing, and I dont know how the car knows, the engine light comes on with my car. I tell the wife to listen to the clicks when he puts the cap on. I always tell them to tighten. It actually says in the manual 3 clicks minimum...LOL. Really!

So all in all posibly after the last fill up the cap was loose and cause some kind vapor lock. I guess from the discussion below the emmision system draws the vapors from the tank and reburns them. If the cap is not on then possibly a build up.

Hey heres a thought. Possibly start the car when fueling and this happens again. Worth a shot.

Mike NJ

Mike NJ

Old 07-20-11, 11:17 AM
well, vapor lock is a wild guess. we don't know it was very hot where HE lives. but yes, every time i've heard about those was referred to very hot weather. then again, fuel tank is supposed to vent that out safely somehow. so, if it didn't.....

actually, my 2nd guess is - you know how some stations have dem dispensers ooh so sensitive to proper fume cap position and pressure applied? I know he tried several stations, but isn't this the simplest explanation?

when you have loose cap, air is leaking inside the fuel system. it is supposed to be air tight and sealed. if not, sensors detect this and throw error code on. you go to a shop to fix it, end up with a "major evap system overhaul" bill for few hundred bucks, whilst tech simply resets the code and re-tightens the cap. have seen post like like this from some bragging shop owner.

Old 07-20-11, 05:25 PM
I live in NJ. It's not the first time the car has been in a hot day. I came home and messed with it using a siphon pump and gas can. I tried pouring gas out of my can into the tank and it didn't work. I didn't shove the siphon tube all the way in because I was afraid there was something in there plugging it up and I didn't want it to fall in the tank if there was. I don't know how all this works, but there is a vent system to allow air to flow out of the tank when filling. My theory is that the vent system became blocked somehow and over night, it became unblocked. I know there are some check valves and balls involved somewhere, but I don't know for sure. Cost me like $60 for the mechanic to mess with it. Whatever. I like this guy so far and he earned his money. I've been by a few times with both of my vehicles. If it doesn't take too long for him to examine something, he doesn't charge for it. Even if he can't put a finger on what's wrong.

I looked up vapor lock when you mentioned it and it says it happens in the fuel system. I didn't count the filler neck as part of the fuel system when vapor lock was being described. Seemed to apply to the fuel lines between the tank and engine.

Old 07-21-11, 08:19 AM
guess, it will be one of those history mysteries never solved. keep the mech. not sure if all cars have it, but some do have an elbow in the filler tube and metal screen in it. prevents siphoning gas out with a rubber hose. but yes, you are absolutely right - any excessive pressure or vapor anywhere should have been released somewhere somehow. I am aware of 2 drivers, from several years ago, that could not fill their tanks on a very hot day though. gas simply gushed out of the tank, so there were many theories about gas vapors pushing gas stream out.
hopefully, yours is just one of those freakish situations that will never happen again. gas tanks are total pain to work on.