Trying to remove air filter cover

Old 07-17-11, 03:40 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to remove air filter cover

I am trying to change the air filter in my 2005 Suzuki Forenza station wagon. However, when I try to remove the screws for the air filter cover, the screws just turn without coming out. I assume that the threads that hold the screws in are stripped. Is there some sort of technique or tool that I could use to get these screws out?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-11, 06:09 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
well, i doubt that's the case. all of them? on a new basically car? My Camry has similar setup - screws can be undone from nuts, but will not come out. I came across several of those setups in Japanese makes. it's idiot proofing to prevent lost screws.
Simply try prying cover up, it might be held tight due to a gasket or something. Might be a clip somewhere too.
If you have screw haed exposed, I normally press it up with a flathead, whilst turning it with a proper screwdriver.

Old 07-18-11, 06:34 AM
M
I'll try your suggestions. Thanks!

Old 07-18-11, 03:22 PM
welcome. please, post how it went. we learn from this.

Old 07-19-11, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 33 Posts
Might be turn-lock fasteners, too; quarter turn and they're unlocked, but retained in the cover with clips.

Old 07-19-11, 06:04 AM
M
I just noticed that the illustration in the owner's manual makes it look like the screws should come out all the way like a regular screw.

Old 07-19-11, 10:24 AM
E
If you can get a grip on the heads of them, try pulling and turning at the same time if in fact someone before you has stripped the pastic threads in the housing box.

Old 07-19-11, 12:23 PM
you know, try peaking underneath the filter, not cover, box. by any chance, are the little nuts that screws go in still IN THE PLASTIC? usually those are metal inserts into the box's plastic edge. they might have been forced out of it, by whatever, and now both screw and nut spin free. if you can't see there, feel it or use a small mirror.
My Camry has some real funny setup there. First time i replaced air filter, took me half an hour and A LOT of cussing to get them crews back in. THEY SIMPLY CAME OUT OF PLASTIC RIGHT AWAY. nOT REALLY NUTS, MORE LIKE SMALL BARRELS. oops, caps on..

Old 07-21-11, 10:08 AM
M
I tried all of the things that everyone has suggested, and still no luck. My check engine light came on because of a separate issue, so I wound up taking the car to my mechanic. He says that I need to go to the Suzuki dealership and get a whole new box for the air filter. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.