2005 Hyundai Tucson oil pan rusted out!

Old 07-20-11, 07:27 PM
2005 Hyundai Tucson oil pan rusted out!

I still hardly believe it but the oil pan on my daughter's 2005 Tucson rotted/rusted out! The damn thing only has 50K miles on it. Luckily she works for a Jeep/Chrysler dealer and they are giving her a break on replacing the pan. But, it will still be at least $400.00 since the exhaust system is in the way and they have to take it apart to get to the pan. They supposedly checked with Hyundai and there are no recalls or extended warranties for this problem. I’m going to do some detective work myself on the slight chance somebody is blowing smoke. Could there be one of those hidden warranties and if so, how can I find out? Who the hell ever heard of an oil pan rusting out, especially on a six year old vehicle? Any advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-11, 09:52 PM
Assuming it really is gone, I would call Hyundai customer service direct with the VIN number and see what they might do for you. There are sometimes hidden warranties, TSB's for dealers of course and then there can just be on the spot policy decisions made by corporate customer relations people. When you consider the 10 year warranties they offer on their newer products they may do something for you on this. They should and it is good for future business if they do take on the responsibility. I also can't understand how a component holding oil could ever rust through, and wonder if something else is going on with the pan in regards to damage. Like you already said it is worth getting under and having your own peek. You might also try going direct to a local dealer and seeing what story they can tell you also. Was the vehicle purchased new? That could make a difference around any policy based warranty offers also. If it was me I would push and push for some kind of Hyundai replacement support if it all is what you were told it was.

Old 07-21-11, 08:31 AM
well, try this:

7-YEAR/UNLIMITED MILE ANTI-PERFORATION WARRANTY

Covers 7 years/unlimited miles starting with 2005 model year (previously 5 years/100,000 miles for 2004 and prior model years).

Covers perforation (rust hole through the body panel from inside to outside) corrosion of original Hyundai body sheet metal due to defects in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.
Excludes surface corrosion.

and I have to agree with equinox. something ain't right. it's a thick metal sheet, designed to withstand direct hits from rocks etc. it does not simply rust through all at a sudden. some superficial rust, yes, but not all the way through.
for something like this, you go to a Hyundai customer satisfaction manager, and write a "nice"letter to Hyundai same time.
why do I get that feeling that someone is trying to make a buck or two off this? I DO NOT BELIEVE HYUNDAI WILL NOT TAKE CARE OF THIS.

Old 07-21-11, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
I have to agree, too. I've seen a LOT of oil pans and never seen a rust through even on cars that have sat for decades.

And employee or not, I would be pricing the job around to see if she's really getting a "break". Among other things, there may be a good aftermarket replacement at a fraction the cost of the factory part.

Old 07-21-11, 04:25 PM
2005 Tucson rotted/rusted out! we do not know if it rusted through...

The damn thing only has 50K miles on it.
VERY unlikely it did.

Luckily she works for a Jeep/Chrysler dealer and they are giving her a break on replacing the pan. But, it will still be at least $400.00 since the exhaust system is in the way and they have to take it apart to get to the pan. They supposedly checked with Hyundai WHY WOULD YOU LET $$ OUT, IF YOU CAN GIVE SOMEONE "A BREAK"?

let me set example from my work. Our company owns a fabrication facility that makes braces. They have unvailed a "break through revolutionary knee brace" that they want us to promote. hence, we are all receiving sample braces and "special measurement instrument" along. well, thing is, corporate also charges each office $400 fro sample and $100 for that instrument. We tried to request return and refund yesterday, as we do not need them both and were politely told to stick our request up our arses. that's how corporate America operates.

Old 07-21-11, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
I still hardly believe it but the oil pan on my daughter's 2005 Tucson rotted/rusted out! The damn thing only has 50K
How did you come to this conclusion?????

Could it be a quick lube joint is telling you this to make extra bucks? They are probably the only ones that can see it. ( Someone with a lift )

Something does not sound kosher...... I highly doubt the pan is rusted. Probably just visual discoloration.

Have any pics?

Mike NJ

Old 07-21-11, 06:19 PM
i see rusty oil pans ALL THE TIME. quite common around here. ESPECIALLY snow plow trucks. snow plow trucks, around here, are RUST BUCKETS !!

how is oil "inside" of a metal container supposed to protect the "outside" from rusting ?

Old 07-21-11, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
This is a 2005 Hyundai in NJ....Not a plow truck in Chicago. I was just wandering how it was determained the pan was rusted. Possibly the OP is being bamboozled...

Mike NJ

Old 07-21-11, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
This is a 2005 Hyundai in NJ....Not a plow truck in Chicago.
yes. i know how to read. NJ does have snow, doesn't it ? do they use salt ? lots of cars rust around here. i was saying that the plow trucks are the worst.

Old 07-22-11, 06:03 AM
the key word here , may be ' Hyundai ' !

Old 07-22-11, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
I confess we don't salt the roads much in the winter down here; still, I see lots of cars that have been in the salt slush, some of which are rusted underneath to the point of frame failure, and I have yet to see a leaking oil pan from it.

Standing by to hear more from Bob.

Old 07-23-11, 06:11 AM
around here. it is mostly brake lines that rust out. pretty common. next is fuel lines.

i have a spray can that i load with oil and solvent(to thin the oil out enough for it to spray like spray paint). i greases my lines and recoat them with this thinned oil. working great so far.

Old 07-23-11, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys.

I didn't mention that I was under the Tucson about six months ago and saw the large amount of rust on the oil pan. If I remember correctly, I sanded the rust off before I spray painted the pan with high temperature engine paint. Hyundai sent the wrong pan so it will be next week before my daughter gets the vehicle back. I told her to get the rusted pan and any other components so I can go after Hyundai. I'll be back with to you guys when I get more info.

Old 07-23-11, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Uhhhh bob....you said rusted through/out....not just rusty. Of course it will rust...it gets hot and is exposed to bad conditions. If there were no holes or leaking oil...where's the issue?

I'm a bit confused...

Old 07-23-11, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Me too, I've been following this thread because I've never heard of an oil pan rusting out. I've worked on 50+yr old cars/trucks that had a lot of rust but the oil pan was always intact

It's normal for an oil pan to get surface rust especially if the paint gets scraped off of it but the only oil pan I ever saw with a rust hole was a junk motor that sat in a field for yrs with water in it.

Old 07-23-11, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Any chance of getting some pics, Bob?

Old 07-23-11, 05:48 PM
so it was simply rusted... what's the ruckus about then? hammer one out of stainless steel, will not rust.

Old 07-25-11, 10:10 AM
Getting Tucson back today.

Hi Guys:

The vehicle is repaired. My daughter's boss charged her $319. I'm getting the old pan, etc. back. Will post more info later. I can get a picture but I'll have to figure out how to add it to a post on this thread or if a picture can even be added.

Old 07-25-11, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Old 07-25-11, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
We all want to see this...

Old 07-25-11, 03:03 PM
If it was as badly rusted as we are all wondering about, what I want to see is the people that made the vehicle do that right thing and stand behind the parts they screwed it together with. Like was already mentioned, I too have never seen a severely rusted out oil pan that needed replacement on a 6 year vehicle and I grew up in the rust belt. For that matter not even on a 20 year old one. 'Hey Lucy, you got some splaining ta doo'.

Old 07-25-11, 05:13 PM
There's a big difference between "rusted oil pan" and "rusted OUT oil pan".

Old 07-25-11, 07:52 PM
It is rusted!

Got the old pan back today. It is rusted on the outside especially in one corner. At this point the inside has two little bubbles of ?. I put some oil in the pan on top of newspapers and sure enough I had a spot on the newspapers where the heavy rust and bubbles are. The Jeep dealership where my daughter works and who fixed it called it micro hole(s). My daughter suggests going right to Hyundai because from her experience at work she says an auto dealer will not do anything unless contacted from headquarters. You guys agree? I'll try to get a picture on this thread tomorrow. Thanks, all.

Old 07-25-11, 09:02 PM
At this point a dealer will not be useful. I suggest going to the company directly, and see if they will step up to the issue. I am sure they already know of this weakness in their product, so the question is only around their response. These kinds of things happen when products are not sufficiently tested, evaluated and engineered for all the climates they are sold in. Some of us can still remember some of the British cars that came over in the late 50's, and what was left of them after 2 years.

Old 07-25-11, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
I would like to see the pics. It is highly unusual to me, and if your pic does show what you describe, you may be the first.

I wonder what material the pan is or coating is? Possibly we all are jumping the gun though.

Anodized aluminum pan?

My wifes 2.2 ecotech olds is an all aluminum motor. Possibly hyundai is having issues with the anodizing process.

Oh good... Can we say class action lawsuit. Yeah when oil starts leaking and engines start blowing we will see.

You will lose your case with hyundai I am sure. They will tell you its a maintainance issue. They will want to see all service recipts. Do you have them?

I never owned a non - American named car and never will. Althogh who knows today with autos. Assembled in America....

My father bought a Kia once. What a piece of %$#@. Rear hoses for rear heater core leaked on the Parkway doing 70mph. Engine overheating and was wrecked. Kia did not hold up to the warranty and said it was a maintainance issue. had 59,000 miles. What good is the 100,000 mile warranty. There are service bulletins that this was/is an issue so that covered thier arses I guess.

It still amazes me why people in the US by foreign to begin with. Our country is in dire straights and my fellow Americans are not helping the cause. And yes, I look for the made in USA label when I buy something, and buy American when I can.

Good luck.

Mike NJ

Old 07-25-11, 11:39 PM
Mike NJ

Bought the vehicle used last year so I have no records. Where in NJ are you? I am in Wayne, Passaic County.

Old 07-26-11, 03:13 AM
Group Moderator
Not to hijack the thread, but 5 of the top 10 cars for domestic content are "foreign"; the #1 being the Camry.

The Cars.com American-Made Index - Cars.com

Old 07-26-11, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
When I was a kid, buying an American car was easy to do. These days, you have to define what it means to be an American car first.

Old 07-27-11, 09:43 AM
Called Hyundai and opened up a case. Turns out the Mazda dealer where I bought the Hyundai is part of the same group as the local Hyundai dealer. The Mazda dealer is where the group repairs Hyundais. I have an appointment for next Tuesday for them to look at the vehicle. Yes, the vehicle does have 7 year rust warranty. I would guess I have a good chance they will make good for the repair. Will try to get a picture on this thread.

Old 07-27-11, 12:18 PM
well, now that i have heard about those "microholes" in the corner, I can tell you exactly what it is. As I worked as a stamp and die/tool maker for jewelry factory for about 7 years.
What you have is a pan that was stamped out of whatever metal, but template for it shifted in the guides, and you ended up having one corner "overstretched" which means - thinned out. Happens. If this is done to a coin, it becomes a rarity and collectible. They did not notice it, it went on your car, and normal outside rust - as it's not aluminum, aluminum does not rust - ate its way through thin metal.
That's it, boys and girls.

Old 07-29-11, 06:27 PM
A pic

Just to show that it DOES happen on Hyundai. It is almost completely through. It is on a Tuscon and I removed the cover to show it.

Old 07-29-11, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah IMO we should all be buying "AMERICAN"!!!!!! ( Like I said several posts ago....)

Mike NJ

Old 07-29-11, 08:28 PM
lawrosa -

No argument buying American ! The question is it better to buy a Honda made in Ohio, Hyundai in Alabama, or a Ford made in Mexico or Canada? Way too confusing today.

Old 08-13-11, 12:51 PM
Oil pan update

Hello everyone. As you might expect my friends at Hyundai got back to me and told me to stick my claim where the sun don't shine. I just have been too lazy to figure out how to post a picture. They have no appeal process. As a last try I sent all my paperwork, pictures and a letter to Hyundai CEO John Crafcik.

I should hear by the end of next week if they will do anything for me.

Here is the letter:

Dear Mr. Crafcik:

I am disappointed and distressed at the denial of reimbursement for the above referenced case. I have included all paperwork associated with my case. Briefly, I understand that technically the vehicle is just past the warranty for this type of problem. However, as an auto executive I’m sure you will agree that an oil pan rusting through after six years and 56,097 miles is unheard of and does not speak well for the quality and reliability of the Hyundai product you and your company have worked so hard to improve for many years. I feel this situation deserves special consideration that transcends the warranty. I have been on various appropriate venues on the internet and auto savvy individuals from all over the country can not believe this problem with this vehicle.

I was told by a number of friends that they loved their Hyundais and for that reason I purchased a previously owed vehicle from a local auto group that has Hyundai as one of its’ brands.

The following excerpt is from a USA Today article by Chris Woodyard from 2010 titled, “Hyundai’s John Crafcik isn’t your typical CEO type.”

“Maligned for poor reliability only a few years ago, Hyundai is moving up the ladder to the top tier in quality. Hyundai's breakout, coming even as the automotive industry faced some of its hardest times, has made Crafcik a rising star.”

Naturally at this point I could not agree with Mr. Woodyard or my friends regarding the quality of Hyundai vehicles. I ask that you intervene on my behalf and show that you are indeed, not a typical CEO and that you will stand behind the quality of your products. In the interests of fairness and doing what is right I’m certain you will give my request careful consideration. I feel $319.89 is a small price for Hyundai to pay for the good will of a customer.

Thank you in advance for your attention in this matter.

I'll post the end result when I hear from Hyundai.

Old 08-13-11, 03:10 PM
If you treat it as a complaint, you will have better success if you go directly to the top and get some enjoyment.

I was at a Wendy's on I95 in VA and went into the bathroom after a double and before beginning the rest of my trip. When I got ready to clean up, I discovered the double-barreled T.P. holder was empty. I took off the cover and the spool of shredded TP and took them with me.

I went on line to find the names and locations of the management (Board of Directors, General Manager, Regional Manger, District manager and store manger) of the company. I sent the T.P. lid cover by FedEX to Dave Thomas (founder) and then copies to all the managers. In the letter, I explained the length of the 2 rolls and estimated the usage and suggested that they had not been looked at a few days in a high volume site.

Within days I received many letters from all of the managers, each for 20 to 50 free Wendy's certificates (about a 2" high stack in total). It was fun and I got satisfaction, but I prefer to cook my own burgers because they are better and they never offered a free Coke.

Since the car owner is an employee, it gets a little different and you cannot enjoy the process of satisfaction, unless the car owner's boss really has the power to give a 100% credit. Otherwise, send the old pan to the CEO with cc's listed on the letter and copies of the letter to as many managers as possible to prevent him from not following through (controlling from below is the corporate phrase).

I never used one of my certificates for freebies.

Dick

Old 08-25-11, 12:33 PM
"Settled" with Hyundai

My letter to Hyundai's CEO got some results. Got a call from them that would pay $118 for the part (oil pan) but not the remaining $201 for the labor because the repair was not done by Hyundai and the warranty was expired. I guess this is about as far as I can go with this. At least I got something.

Old 08-25-11, 07:38 PM
It sounds like you got all you could, but of course it is never all you deserve. At least they stood behind their part, even though it all needed to follow an escalation process.

Old 08-26-11, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Second that. I can understand their point that the repair wasn't done by a Hyundai shop hence no reimbursement for the labor. All things considered I think they did right by you.