Start but will not run

Old 07-21-11, 11:17 AM
Start but will not run

I have a 2006 Saturn ION, 2.2. It will start then die. This has been going on for about a week. After several tries it will start and run. I hold gas pedal down & it will stil start and die. I changed the air filter, which was pretty dirty, but it did not help. This morning it died while driving. Then started after several tries. Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Robertk

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-11, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We'll need more info, how many miles are on it? enough to need a tune up? when was the fuel filter changed? How well did it run 2 weeks ago?

Old 07-21-11, 12:17 PM
I think that the 2.2 ecotech engine in your Saturn is pretty much the same one they used for a few years in the old Grand Ams and Aleros. The design and build originally came from Opel in Germany. After changing the fuel filter, if that doesn't solve things, I would get a fuel pump pressure test done at the fuel rail to see if the pump is providing the 50 - 60lbs. it should be. You may also need to think about cleaning out the fuel injectors also. It all sound fuel supply related to me anyway at this point.

Old 07-21-11, 01:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just to add fuel (no pun) to the fire....check/clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, very carefully. It has wires inside it, so you don't want to damage them. It is located between the air filter and the intake as part of the intake hose. Other posted advice is an absolute, too.

Old 07-21-11, 02:45 PM
It has 103000 miles. The car belongs to grand daughter and she has had it about 2 years, no tune up. It has run perfect till 5 days ago, when this problem began. The air filter was filthy and I would think partial stopped up. I agree about the fuel being problem. Do I need any diagnostic equipment to test fuel pressure? Or will I need to go to a shop? I am up in years & can't get around so good. This Mass air flow sensor perked my ears. Does that have a connector on the outside of the hose? I have been looking at the plug and wondering, but afraid to mess with something till I have talked to some one that knows how it all works. Thanks to all you good people for giving me the leads. She left to go back to school in Houston, I tried to get her to take my PU, but she didn't. I have been in contact regularly & it is still going. Thanks again Robertk

Old 07-21-11, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, the Mass Air Flow Sensor has a plug and wire on it. If you take it out of line, you can spray it with (of all things) Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, so go figure. It is available at most auto parts stores. 103k may be time for a serious tune up, filter change (both air and fuel). She could have gotten some dirty fuel and it has clogged the fuel filter....been there.

Old 07-21-11, 04:32 PM
well, FIRST thing you do is drive to local parts store and read error codes. free and very efficient. Can be anything from bad fuel pump all the way through into bad computer. read codes.

ahemm... women.... tune ups and maintenance? is that French for manicure and lipstick?

Old 07-21-11, 05:13 PM
Just to add to what Chandler said, at 100,000 miles the spark plugs are due for a change also if they have not been done. If they need replacing go with the GM plugs.

More important than that though is that there is a GM safety recall on the fuel pump for the 2006 Ion 2.2 engine in several hot climate states including Texas. It was issued I think about 2 years ago. Apparently the plastic can crack in the high temperatures and leak gas for one thing. Depending on the car history, I would suggest that someone contact a GM dealer with the VIN number to confirm if the replacement/recall was ever done on her vehicle also.

Old 07-26-11, 03:18 PM
I want to thank everyone for yor responses. The ignition key would not turn off. I was called on and had no idea what problem could be. I could have remoed fuse and maybe killed engine, but how would they start it. A lock smith was called on Saturday night .The first one could not help but had a buddy and whamo. The locksmith arrived worked about
1 1/2 Hr and fixed problem. Said it was common on Saturn. The car runs perfect now.
I learned chage filters. Her mileage increased after I changed the air filter 26 mpg to
32 to 34. Thanks again to all the great DIY ers.

Search this Thread