Unusual electrical problem with '93 Chevy S-10 Blazer

Old 07-24-11, 10:00 AM
Unusual electrical problem with '93 Chevy S-10 Blazer

We got in my wife's '93 S-10 blazer (4.3 litre V6) a couple of days ago & when I started it (with my key) we noted we had an ABS light on. Brakes felt normal & when I backed out of the parking spot they seemed to work normally. We then also noted that we had no AC or power windows & that the truck revved up high & wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I stopped the vehicle & killed it & started it again. Same scenario. We travelled a short distance & stopped again. This time, my wife suggested trying her key. The truck fired & everything was normal, including a short test drive to test shifting. So as an experiment we tried my key again & same problem. Her key again was normal.
I am thinking that there must be something with the ignition switch not working correctly. I believe several switching functions occur within the ignition switch & maybe my key (hardly worn at all as I rarely use it) just wasn't tripping all tumblers or all parts of the switch, so I figured I might be in for an ignition switch replacement (also plan to have me a new key cut).
Several days later my wife is driving the truck & while moving the ABS light came on & she lost the same functions (AC & power windows) so this now appears to be an intermittent electrical issue or possible an ECM problem. Today is my 1st chance to dig in to this & I plan on looking over all electrical connections to see if anything is loose. I figured I'd shoot this out there to the masses to see what anyone else might now. Any & all input is appreciated!

TexasFire

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-11, 10:28 AM
If you are checking for loose wires, check all ground wires, cables, straps also, both for good connection as well as being tight as a first step.

Old 07-24-11, 03:50 PM
the key doesn't make a different. ALL it does is unlock the tumblers. the ignition switch is somewhere close to it, and can be worked with a screw driver.

Old 07-26-11, 05:55 AM
I've been advised that the switch itself is likely the culprit. Several switching functions happen upon activation & it appears that one main supply connection isn't being made. Replacement switches are pretty cheap ($11-$14) but there was some confusion in the listings at the parts house about which one I needed so I bought them both. Near as I can tell the switch mounts to the steering column about half way to the floor with 2 screws & is adjustable for its position so that the key switch push rod activates on & start function properly. Now I just need to figure out how much of the column needs to come apart to gain access.....

TF

Old 12-04-11, 08:05 AM
We put a new ignition switch in, no more problems. Multiple circuits are closed when this switch is activated & evedently we had a few bad contacts. Switch was only $14 but a pain to get in, so I paid a mechanic $75 to install it.

TexasFire