Vibrations

Old 07-29-11, 05:07 PM
Vibrations

Hello all:

I have an '03 Highlander, V6, that I put new rotors on today after a bad steering wheel shimmy when braking.

Now, after putting the two front tires back in the same position, I get a bad wheel shimmy at high speeds (60+), but NO shimmy when braking.

Would simply removing a wheel and putting it back on cause this to get out of balance? Or maybe they are out of balance now because the rotors are new and the tires were balanced before?

Any explanation is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-11, 04:07 PM
firstly, you do not replace rotors because of this. you turn them.

2ndly, you apparently lost a weight on one of the rims during these operations. you prolly have alloy wheels, like most of them Highlanders. normal rim weights are notorious to come off alloys.
basically, re-balance your wheels, and tell them to use sticky weights only and have weights secured in place with metal tape. bulletproof and costs same to you.

Old 07-31-11, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
No car repair expert...but I disagree with ukrbyk...about the rotors...not the actual problem.

I will never have rotors turned again. You depend far to much on the quality of the operator and machine. AFAIK..if there's a bend or warp in your rotor (whether preexisting or caused by removal or install on the machine)...the machine just follows the warp. And as thin as most stock rotors can be nowadays (weight savings and such)..that just makes the problem worse. Esp if you get a shop that will go below min specs just for the money.

New rotors are normally $50-100 for a set. Turning (in my experience) is about $15-25 each. Not a huge savings for the time and effort involved.

OK..that said...check your weights (as was said) and did you use a torque wrench when installing?

Old 07-31-11, 06:02 PM
I was also thinking about whether the wheels were re-tightened with a cross pattern and torqued to the Toyota Specs which I think are 80 ft pounds.

Old 08-01-11, 02:58 PM
just for clarification and because i always like having the last word..

yes, you do not turn rotors, but that's beyond this thread discussion. you clean them from brake pads material buildup. but for the sake of keeping it simple, it's still better to turn than to replace. i had some very nice reading posted on "warped rotors" while back here and am not proponent of turning, but in this case..

as of the blade following the warp. it is simply not true. they use mini lathes for this purpose. place where i normally turn mine has that machine sitting right beside always opened garage door, you can easily stand there and watch it go. I GUARANTEE it does not follow the warp. after they are done with cutting blade removing metal, they run a honing stone over the just lathed surface, and that piece is spring loaded and does simply follow the shape, but not the blade itself.

Old 08-01-11, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said before...AFAIK.... I don't know how the machines are set up. I just don't trust too many places to do it to spec. Their standards for runout and such may be higher than the manufacturer. Matter of fact..last time I had a set done (which thump like crazy if I use them from a higher speed...gotta get that fixed one day)...I asked if they checked runout after cutting...and they said "no...the machine does that". Yeah...ok..

I'd imagine a real machine shop would do a better job. Used to have those around..but not at this location (AFAIK..again)

Last word huh? LOL....not with me always around. Just to be clear...I don't disagree...but you have to trust your shop.