SBC camshaft oil galley plug and oil pump

Old 08-01-11, 11:41 AM
SBC camshaft oil galley plug and oil pump

I got my 283 block from the machinist and all the plugs were removed. The machinist did give me a plug repair kit, which came with freeze plugs, a rear camshaft plug, and smaller threaded and press fit plugs. Right behind the cam gear are three 1/2" press fit plugs. And in back of the block above the camshaft are three 1/2" threaded plugs.

I've tried eveything in my capability and I was not able to get the press fit plugs in without distorting the plugs. Which got me thinking, if I cut new threads, why can't I use a threaded (1/2-20) plug instead of the press fit. Any particular reason Chevy used a press fit in the front and threaded in the rear?

Luckily the machinist did not remove the plug from under the 5th main cap. Also, just double checking to make sure there's no gasket between the mating surface of the oil pump and main cap.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-11, 08:05 AM
Assuming the plugs are the right size you should be able to drive them in using the proper size drift punch. I wouldnt reccomend tapping the holes as you could get shavings in the system. There is no gasket for the oil pump.

Search this Thread