1997 Blazer 4.3L V6 misfires when fuel level is low.

Old 08-05-11, 04:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1997 Blazer 4.3L V6 misfires when fuel level is low.

It runs better once it warms up. Recently replaced plugs and wires and had a wire routed incorrectly...re-routing seemed to fix the misfire but it's back. Looking for ideas on what the problem may be. Got a service engine soon light(Random: Multiple misfires detected).

Old 08-05-11, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Did you do as I suggested and change the cap and rotor?

Did you change the fuel filter?

You need to do a pressure test on the fuel rail to make sure the regulator is ok.

Then what is the 8th digit in the VIN #? X or W. The will tell me what motor you have and fuel system. Cant remember what yr they stopped the poppets with the spider injectors.

What model is the blazer? 4x4?

Mike NJ

Old 08-07-11, 05:58 PM
C
Originally Posted by lawrosa
Did you do as I suggested and change the cap and rotor?

Did you change the fuel filter?

You need to do a pressure test on the fuel rail to make sure the regulator is ok.

Then what is the 8th digit in the VIN #? X or W. The will tell me what motor you have and fuel system. Cant remember what yr they stopped the poppets with the spider injectors.

What model is the blazer? 4x4?

Mike NJ
Just replaced the cap and rotor, but I haven't done the fuel filter yet. W is the 8th character on my 4x4 LS. After changing the cap and rotor and double checking the wire routing I started it up and went in to wash my hands...came back out and it was dead...I let it cool and tried it again...it ran smooth for about 30 seconds then started to lope heavily and then it died and started smoking from the intake. Is there a timing adjustment or something that I need to do? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-07-11, 09:25 PM
C
Cap and rotor has apparently solved the misfiring issue. However in the course of climbing all over the engine I managed to cause a vacuum leak in the intake leading to the loping and dying that I previously described. Found it! I don't know what it's called, but, it's a long black hardened polymer hose that runs from the intake into the top of the engine on the passengers' side...just had to push it back in and now it runs like its new! I will be changing the fuel pump as soon as I find a convenient time to do so. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-07-11, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
However in the course of climbing all over the engine
LOL. I think I metioned in your other post that you basically have to lay on the engine to get to it. You should have changed that when I stated it in your last post.

I think that tube is PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) tube. Runs rough without it.

Glad its running good.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: