98 cadilac eldarado A/C Problem

Old 08-10-11, 05:06 PM
98 cadilac eldarado A/C Problem

My air cond. is cold driving down the road, even at low speed it's OK. But at an idle nothing! Just plain air, it's full of freon, and worked great last year. Any Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-11, 07:33 PM
1. how do you know it's filled to specs?
2. find air compressor and use it to clean radiators. debris can greatly impair a/c operation.
3. on the surface, it looks like air flow issue. hence #2
4.below the surface, it sounds like your a/c fan is not creating enough air flow, or your a/c compressor belt is loose and does not spin compressor well enough. even if you have serpentine, it might be loose.

Old 08-11-11, 02:12 PM
Thanks

I have checked all of that and it is ok. What I did notice is that the compressor only kicks on for about 3 seconds, and stays off for about 21 seconds at an idle. Even set at the coldest temp.

Old 08-11-11, 02:48 PM
well, if you have proper pressure in the system; radiator is permitting nice flow through; fans do kick in as needed, I'd safely assume that it's coming from your climate control unit, which monitors internal temperature and tells a/c when to kick compressor in.
Basically, make sure your - it's Cadillac, right? so it has salon temp sensor? - temp is not set to 80 or something. Next, it is possible that that temp sensor is faulty and does not read temp right. or your temp controls are not set to hot/cold mix, which happened to several posters before.

Compressor simply does what it is told to do. Oh, also, make sure your system is OVERCHARGED. pressure sensor might be shutting system down if there's too much pressure build up in the system.

otherwise, I do not think you'll DIY this. if it's somewhere in controls, you'll need a pro to find it.

Old 08-13-11, 02:13 AM
OK, here's the deal, Both of the tubes going in and out of the a/c core are ice cold even at an idle.

Old 08-14-11, 08:03 AM
and they shouldn't. there should be palpable difference in temperature between the 2.

but even if for some reason they are designed to be same, it simply tells you that that your a/c core is cold. hence, if you do not have cold air coming out, your blend doors are not set right. they let warm air mix out, and do not separate air streams well.

told you it is possible your climate controls are not working right. btw, I goofed. this "or your temp controls are not set to hot/cold mix" should say "are set to hot/cold mix". it being a Cadillac, it's prolly some sort of an automatic temperature selection deal. if you can force manual temp control on it, and make sure you are absolutely positively set to no heat blended with a/c stream, and you still have same issue....
those doors are controlled by your climate control unit, with actuators, either electrical or vacuum.

though it still does not explain why you have very short compressor bursts. i say, your climate control unit is not quite right.

Search this Thread