Chevy Venture Intermittent start problems

Old 08-22-11, 12:34 PM
Chevy Venture Intermittent start problems

I'm have a 2002 Chevy Venture Minivan with 70,000 miles on it. This happend 5 times in the last 2 years: I turn the key and the engine cranks over and wants to start but doesn't. I thought maybe a fuel pump problem but banging on the tank didn't help. (When I put the key on, I can hear the fuel pump "buzz" until pressures is built up.) After it sits for a while, it starts and then it's ok for months. Could it be the fuel pump? I'm going away next month and don't want a break down. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-11, 01:56 PM
IMO such rare and intermittant start failures are very difficult to diagnose on a forum such as this, but there are a couple of things that you could do. Have the OBD2 scanned for fault codes like a P171 or P174 lean condition. Just because the SES dash lights are not coming on does not mean there are no fault codes. There could possibly also be some GM Technical Service Bulletins addressing your issue. There were for the 3.4 engine in my Equinox that had the same situation. GM has had cases where updated PCM computer programes are available to correct the original programming, but that is not for free on an older vehicle. Also I would purchase some MAF cleaner and spray clean the sensor as well as a preventative measure. By now it probably needs cleaning or replacing.

Search this Thread