2003 chevrolet venture intermittent no starts

Old 06-28-11, 07:25 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2003 chevrolet venture intermittent no starts

what the heck is wrong with this thing? i changed the ignition switch thinking it was gonna solve my problem.. ive changed the starter relay and that didnt do nothing either.. i got the switch in on friday last week.. van worked all weekend and no problems occured.. monday the wife drives it in the morning for a 10 minute ride. parks it and bam nothing! lights are all on but no ignition.. no click, no crank, no start up! im starting to think a body control module.. for one.. my door locks have been acting up for the past three weeks.. theyll lock but not unlock.. might be a coincidence but if i can please have some information on what it might be.. would very well appreciated.. thank you..

Old 06-28-11, 08:07 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Battery cables and grounds have been checked and cleaned right? Did the vehicle eventually start on it's own when you wife had it? Did it start after about 4 minutes for example. One possible reason if it did, could be something going on with the Passkey 3 security system . Did you notice what the security light was doing each time it failed to activate the starter. When it fails to do anything have you tried using your second key if you have one.

Old 06-28-11, 08:20 AM
L
Originally Posted by equinox
Battery cables and grounds have been checked and cleaned right? Did the vehicle eventually start on it's own when you wife had it? Did it start after about 4 minutes for example. One possible reason if it did, could be something going on with the Passkey 3 security system . Did you notice what the security light was doing each time it failed to activate the starter. When it fails to do anything have you tried using your second key if you have one.
it sat for 15 minutes and nothing.. it sat all day and nothing.. it works sometimes.. the security light goes on.. no flashing or anything.. the battery light also goes on.

edit: now that you bring the question about the other key.. i was driving the van this weekend and i used my keys.. after i left the van to get the switch put in.. it never failed and they were using my key.. you have just made me realize the van works all the time when they use my key.. now what do i do?

Old 06-28-11, 08:31 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
you have 2 choices.

1. share your key
2. have all keys and van reprogrammed by dealer.

i had same issue with my 04 CR-V. i had 2 chipped keys and a valet key. one of the chipped keys will act up and almost got me stranded in AL. considering that i was the only driver for that car, i simply put the bad key on the shelf.

Old 06-28-11, 08:37 AM
E
I am no expert on GM Passkey systems, though others on this forum might be, but I think that the key provides a specific amount of resistance into the system that deactivates the security. On some of the GM systems a solid light means there is no resistance from the key, and a flashing light can mean the wrong resistance for example. If you continue to have no issue with using only your key, a GM dealer can get a replacement setup for you for the second key. I was just trying to think of the easy possible solutions first since you already have spent a bit already maybe replacing good parts with good parts.

Old 06-28-11, 08:46 AM
L
would have to get both keys reprogrammed? and a new set of keys?

thats awesome.. ill call my local dealer and see what they say.. thanks a lot and i truly appreciate it..

Old 06-28-11, 09:50 AM
Have them test the keys. One may be good and the other bad. A new key may be in order. They may need all keys you plan to use on it at one time. Some manufacturers require all keys be programmed at the same time or the ones that didnt get programmed will no longer work.
Billy

Old 06-28-11, 12:10 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Honda told me it is $200 to reprogram the keys. They had to do both and ECM too, so that they al match. That's why that key went on the shelf.

Old 06-28-11, 07:20 PM
I need a new key for my car but im not in the mood to spend the $155 for just the key. I can program it myself for no cost to me, but these keys are ridiculously expensive. So I just deal with repairing it when it starts acting up.

Old 06-29-11, 09:02 AM
L
well i tried the key thing and again i still have the problem.. i turned off the radio and after like 30 seconds i can re-start the van.. does the radio go through the theft deterrent?
although the van is starting easier with my key.. the security light dont go on but it seems like the battery gets killed.. all the guages go cooky and then go back to original positions..

Old 06-29-11, 10:33 AM
E
I think the first question I had asked was in regards to your battery cables/ground wires etc. This is still something that you should confirm. Are all the connections clean and tight? The van is 8 years old and if there has not been any maitenance done on this it is time to take a look. Not saying that is your issue, but again something simple to do and eliminate as a possible cause. Also as was mentioned earlier, it might make sense to have both your keys checked at the dealer just in case they both are having issues.

Old 06-29-11, 11:30 AM
L
Originally Posted by equinox
I think the first question I had asked was in regards to your battery cables/ground wires etc. This is still something that you should confirm. Are all the connections clean and tight? The van is 8 years old and if there has not been any maitenance done on this it is time to take a look. Not saying that is your issue, but again something simple to do and eliminate as a possible cause. Also as was mentioned earlier, it might make sense to have both your keys checked at the dealer just in case they both are having issues.
i apologize for not responding to the battery cable connections.. they appear to be still good.. bright copper inside when i slice some of the casing off.. no corrosion that i can see.. hmm.. ill call the dealer to check the keys.. i got a new one cut for only 25 dollars.. but they cut it wrong so i cant even see if the new key is good..

Old 06-29-11, 12:12 PM
E
I am not sure what you mean about slicing off the casing. I was referring to all the connection points, ie. battery, all visible grounds, starter etc. Disconnecting them, cleaning them up, including their mating surface and tightening them. With forums like this and situations like you have, all that is possible is a step by step approach starting with the easy basic things first as part of the elimination process. Passkey security resets after about 2 to 4 minutes also so this could still be the issue. Did they test your keys? Whether or not your radio is involved in any of this directly is unlikely, but certainly ensuring clean power connections is a first simple step of elimination. I do know that other GM products the same age do sometimes have issues with poor cable connections.

Old 08-25-11, 10:19 AM
L
after a month in a shop.. we finally got this stinking van fixed.. :/ after going thru two computers, two tumblers, four keys and one ignition switch.. it was all a bad tumbler set from the dealer.. their computers says to use 10 tumblers on their lock cylinders.. problem with that is.. the key only fits one way if you do it that way.. if you put the key in wrong the security pass lock gets enabled.. causing it to not start.. original problem was the original keys were to worn out.. setting off the security pass lock.. 650 dollars for a 30 dollar key.. :/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: