Excess Transmission Fluid

Old 08-25-11, 12:59 PM
Excess Transmission Fluid

Just had a rebuilt transmission installed at the dealership. The next day I checked the transmission fluid (engine hot and running, transmission in Park) and the fluid on the dipstick is one inch above the crosshatched area.
I was under the impression that it is not advisable to overfill an automatic transmission.
Am I a stickler, or should I go back to the dealer and have him drain some fluid? I don't want to be told by an expert that they know what they are doing and one inch above is no big deal and acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-11, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
You just spent big money I'm sure....hold them to the deal. Take it back, have someone check it. It should be w/in the marks. Mistakes happen...someone may have dumped the last 1/2 qt in instead of checking the level.

Don't make an appointment...just drive in and express your concern.

Old 08-25-11, 07:32 PM
You didn't mention the make and model of your vehicle. Did you check your owners manual to confirm the proper way to check for fluid fill levels and to make sure you are complying. I can still remember having vehicles that needed to be checked in Drive for instance, or run through the gear selection before reading the stick.

Old 08-25-11, 08:46 PM
equinox is right. it really depends on a make. I had a Mitsubishi that had to be checked with gear shifter in neutral. honestly, if it's just a little bit over, I wouldn't be much worried. also, I am yet to see a trannie dipstick that will CLEARLY show ATF level. always smeared.

Old 08-26-11, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing you paid some BIG bucks for a dealership to do that job, so I wouldn't be a bit concerned about being picky.

Old 08-26-11, 07:23 AM
Yeah, definitely take it back if you are sure you used the correct procedure for checking the fluid level. It wouldn't be any big thing for them to drain some fluid anyway. I overfilled mine when I changed my trans fluid and filter. I drained the excess myself and now it is right on the money

Old 08-26-11, 08:19 AM
I forgot to mention one other point in addtion to all the others that we have brought up. Was the car on a completely level surface when you took the stick read? Many drives for instance are not level as an example. Been there, done that too.

Old 08-26-11, 10:28 AM
The car is a Ford Crown Victoria with an AOD transmission.
Per the shop manual and the owners manual, the area on
the dipstick (above the crosshatched area) is clearly marked
with "Don't Add ".
Car was on a level surface.

Old 08-26-11, 03:41 PM
If the vehicle is only at normal operating temperature and has not been driven through slow traffic in hot weather for instance and reads at those marks it may be over filled. Prior to checking you should also shift through each gear until engaged, then place it in Park and take the read. If it is over filled I would take it back to the place who did the work and get some taken out as overfilling can cause damage.

Old 08-26-11, 04:10 PM
and I did not mean "dipstick clearly marked". they always are. I meant - fluid level clearly showing on dipstick. every make I ever owned, any fluid I ever used, ATF never showed CLEARLY its level on dipstick. ain't no oil.