Seatbelt problem

Old 08-31-11, 08:13 AM
Seatbelt problem

Have a 1994 Toyota Corrolla in which the drivers side seat belt has stopped retracting. This was not the result of any sudden stops or force. It hust has stopped retracting.
Is there any way to manually make the belt retract so that it will reset? I am not sure of the workings but I would assume(:NO NO NO that a rachet or something internally is stuck.

Just what I need with no house line power after Irene but thankfully I got my generator and transfer switch in on the Weds before it hit in NY area. Neighbors laughed then but I am now!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-11, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Don't know if it would help in this situation but I've seen a couple seat belts get stuck and have the problem resolve once the belt was pulled all the way out.

Old 08-31-11, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Also could be the belt got twisted in behind the trim panel where the retractor is mounted. May have to remove the panel to inspect. That section usually comes off pretty easily.

Old 08-31-11, 10:58 AM
Thanks Mitch. Tried that several times and all I did was make the belt come out more till it is in the stops of the end. That is why I am at a loss for a reset.

Old 08-31-11, 12:13 PM
talk to Toyota customer satisfaction manager at a dealership. read years ago that safety systems, seatbelts included, are lifetime. but this may be for belt, not retractor, only. not sure.

Old 08-31-11, 04:51 PM
Tow Guy;
did that this morning before I posted. The belt seems to be feeding correctly. It seems like there is a rachet cam that is stuck. May try the visit to a Toyota dealership to listen to their "leave it and we will have a look" spiel.

Old 08-31-11, 05:38 PM
well, truly, retractors are not that hard to get to. Plastic panels covering them are usually very easily pry-able away and access is fair. it's all plastic clips, you know.

all you want to find from dealer is if entire safety system is covered, or only belts. one never knows.

Old 08-31-11, 05:44 PM
I do kindly apologize for posting link to a different forum, but here's a useful one. Like I said - talk to customer satisfaction manager and start with phrase "Hi, I am John Doe, and I have SAFETY issue with my Toyota". It's a magic word.

Lifetime warranty on seat belts? - Club Lexus Forums

Old 09-01-11, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Interesting discussion. I suspect if they are in fact lifetime warranty it would be to keep lawsuits at bay. Hundred buck seat belt a lot cheaper than a million $ lawsuit.

Old 09-01-11, 01:51 PM
I suspect using the magic owrds "safety issue" will make all the difference. I had a similar problem when I picked up a 1999 Acura Integra 2-3 years ago. The rear seat belts did not want to retract. I took it to a dealer and mentioned the safety of my kids sitting back there. They ordered and replaced the mechanisms without another word.

- Peter

Old 09-01-11, 01:53 PM
It's classic.
Fight Club the movie.
Norton's character explains to a passenger "I work for an automotive company. When costs of lawsuits exceed costs of repairs, we issue a recall" "what company are you working for? "A major one".

Old 09-02-11, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
I had the same thought when I read Master Guns' last post.

The Formula.

Old 09-13-11, 01:26 PM
"toy"ota

Just thought that I would post the results of your suggestions. I went to three different dealerships and requested to talk to a
"safety manager". All said the same response, similar to Eli Wallachs answer in "The treasure of Sierra Madre", "Manager! Manager!? we don't got no stinking safety manager!"
All also gave the same stock answer. The warranty is 5 years or 50,000 miles. Finally resorted to buying a new one and even then found some dealers were really padding it. One wanted over $50 dollars more for the assembly then I actually paid.
This was a "inherited" Toyota and I don't believe that I will actually be spending money for a new one.

Old 09-13-11, 01:53 PM
I am not surprised about the responses you received from Dealers. Most could be more interested in today's sale rather than tomorrows. Have you thought however of contacting the Toyota U.S. Sales and Service Customer Relations? You could contact them and ask if the seat belts in their Corollas are expected to last for the life of the car. I am sure at this point you would be hearing a very optimistic response. You coud get a name and address and tell them you will be mailing them a copy of a receipt you paid to have one replaced and that you would look forward to receiving their reimbursement. After all the bad press this company received, and with most of that bad press both inaccurate and unfair, my guess is you would receive a check in the mail. If you can find a way to talk to the right person you will get the right response. More often than not in cases like this Dealers are not that person. Just my experience.

Old 09-13-11, 02:41 PM
After reading these posts I looked at the owners manual for my wife's 2006 Honda CRV and my 2008 Honda Civic. In both cases it said seat belts for guaranteed for the useful life of the car. I can't believe Toyota would be different.

Search this Thread