2000 chevy malibu trans prob

Old 08-31-11, 06:15 PM
2000 chevy malibu trans prob

2000 chevy malibu (104000 miles) in drive will only get up to 20mph when the engine starts to rev. I put into 3 and i can get it up to 45 but it runs at 3000 rpm. Any help out there?? Thanks alot!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-11, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Take it to a trans shop and have them run it for codes...but it sound like a bad issue. W/o reading the codes..there isn't a simple fix as far as I know.

Old 08-31-11, 06:51 PM
Those transmissions are a "closed system" there is no dip stick to check the level.
Just thinking out loud...... if you have been leaking trans fluid it may be too low to build the hydraulic pressure to move the car.

Has it been leaking trans fluid? If it has try adding 1 qt at time until it begins to work normally. The trans fill cap is on the drivers side of the engine compartment and it's a red cap (kind of hard to see)
So based on your comments you can get it up to 45 mph in 3. Is OD totally gone? And does it slip in 1, 2 and Reverse?

I owned a 2001 Malibu and only started having very minor slippage after 225,000 miles and it never leaked trans fluid.

Old 09-01-11, 02:57 PM
1. clutches toast and slipping
2. valves do not open to shift into higher gear
3. TCM is bad
4. One of the sensors is bad.

For the year, I'd say it's one of the sensors. Could be as well one of the engine sensors, like throttle position, as they tell trannie when to shift. my honest suggestion is to have it scoped for trannie codes. don't guess.

Old 09-01-11, 07:50 PM
Gunguy, Mackey, ukrbyk, thanks for the info. I did find the fill cap after looking for a while for the dipstick, I went to the book and read that the car didnt have a dipstick. I put 1 qt of dexIII and it didnt help. The car is my mothers so I dont know if it has been leaking atf. The car runs in reverse, havnt tried it in 1 or 2. I will take it to get the codes read and go from there. Thanks again guys!!

Old 09-01-11, 10:04 PM
you either have to take it to a dealership or transmission shop. Trannie codes are specialty codes and most of them require proprietary s/w to read.

Old 09-02-11, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
Not unusual for a tranny that's toasted to retain reverse; has to do with how the forward and reverse functions work.

Old 09-24-11, 12:42 PM
Just wanted to give an update on the car. I added 3 qts of tranny fluid and its running fine. Thanks again for all the help

Old 09-24-11, 06:09 PM
It is great to hear it was only low on fluid, but 3 quarts is a major ATF loss. Where did the fluid go? It must have leaked somewhere. Any fluid mixed with your coolant inside your radiator? How soon before it is again down 3 quarts? Are you seeing it going down at all since your refill?