Rain X ???

Old 09-05-11, 10:42 AM
Rain X ???

I just bought a large bottle of RainX and applied--per instructions--and I could tell NO DIFFERENCE. I cleaned the windows and reapplied, no better.
This stuff used to work--what has happened They sure haven't lowered the price

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-11, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Snake oil IMO. I see no benefit in the product. Thats just me.

I used it many ions ago, and I though it was harder to see through those little droplets of water. I could'nt wait for that stuff to wear off to back to normal conditions.

Mike NJ

Old 09-05-11, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Doesn't work - you mean the water isn't beading up?

You did get the right stuff? They also have a product to prevent fogging on the inside.

Old 09-05-11, 12:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
About the only vehicle I have that it works flawlessly on is my Volvo. I think the SUV and Ram windshields are too tall to perform well. The Volvo is raked perfectly so at 40 MPH and above I absolutely have no need for wipers, unless it monsoons. I like it, but as Mitch says, there is more than one product, so make sure you get the right one.

Old 09-05-11, 01:41 PM
LOVE RAIN X. use it on all cars.

I am not sure what a "large bottle" is. My son bought "window cleaner with Rain X" made by Rain X, and that does not work well, but LOOKS like Rain X original product and IS A LARGE BOTTLE. Original Rain X I ever used is a small spray bottle, maybe 300 Ml.

1. Windows must be cleaned thoroughly before application and dry.

2. Rain X, not diluted substitute, needs to be sprayed on, evenly and not too liberally.

3. Let it dry out for maybe 20 minutes, and then polish glass with paper towel. You should see waxy looking film on the glass, that slowly polishes away as you do this.

On side windows, Rain X lasts - water simply beads off - for good year or so. On a windshield, depending on rain and wipers use - maybe several good weeks, then it needs to be reapplied.

I have been using original Rain X FOR YEARS and will vouch for that product just like I'll vouch for Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Seafoam. And Lucas products.

The only drawback I found for it is that wipers have tendency to rub on a Rain Xd glass, due to higher friction. But then again, after fresh application, I never even turn them on.

WATER WILL NOT BEAD OFF AT SPEEDS LOWER THAN 35MPH. WATER MIST, AS IN WHEN FOLLOWING A TRUCK ON WET HWY, WILL DO SAME.

Old 09-05-11, 01:53 PM
I have used RainX for years on outside surface of all windows EXCEPT WINDSHIELD. It may be just my wife"s and my eyesite, but when using wipers there is a film reflection, from lights, that is a faint color like a "rainbow". I tried it on several vehicles.
This is part # RX11212. It is a 7oz. container and it says RainX ORIGINAL.
Bought it at ChinaMart two weeks ago.

Old 09-05-11, 07:34 PM
oh, yeah,that's the one. old style, with little pop up nozzle, and you spread it over glass surface. btw, it will eat through natural fibers, dedicated spread rag will turn into shredded pieces in several mths.

I do not like using wipers, they irritate me, hence I do use rain X on windshield. So far, besides rubbing wiper blades, another drawback is slight greyish film left after each wiper pass, but it goes away in few seconds.

Now, I am not sure, what exactly is that you expected it to do? When I just applied mine, I do not use wipers at all for several weeks. Mof, I do really enjoy how water droplets run up the windshield, I find it very entertaining. I also never have water staying on side windows or mirrors. What else to ask for?

Old 09-05-11, 10:00 PM
OLD STYLE would that not be ORIGINAL??? I also never have water staying on side windows or mirrors. What else to ask for?------ Thats what I am asking for.
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
oh, yeah,that's the one. old style, with little pop up nozzle, and you spread it over glass surface. btw, it will eat through natural fibers, dedicated spread rag will turn into shredded pieces in several mths.

I do not like using wipers, they irritate me, hence I do use rain X on windshield. So far, besides rubbing wiper blades, another drawback is slight greyish film left after each wiper pass, but it goes away in few seconds.

Now, I am not sure, what exactly is that you expected it to do? When I just applied mine, I do not use wipers at all for several weeks. Mof, I do really enjoy how water droplets run up the windshield, I find it very entertaining. I also never have water staying on side windows or mirrors. What else to ask for?

Old 09-06-11, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
Add me to the list of fans. I especially like it on the side windows and mirrors on the wrecker; makes it much easier to use the side mirrors when it's raining.

Old 09-06-11, 06:03 AM
Rain-X fan here as well. I use it on all glass and mirrors like tow_guy. I'm in Canada and I find that ice is easier to clean off a Rain-X'd window. Thumbs Up to Rain-X (and it's clones, Rain-Away etc, if they are on sale).

Old 09-06-11, 06:29 AM
I think some of you need to read my post again---I am not slamming the product, I simply stated this new bottle doesn't work. I have use it for years, with good results, otherwise I would not have bought it again.

Old 09-06-11, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Maybe you got a return that someone opened, used, and refilled with water? Did it have the seal intact and did it have the right smell?

I've seen it happen....and worse. Bricks and paper in a resealed electrical panel box, paint cans refilled with water, 3000lf of stolen base molding with one of our stickers on a single piece, etc, etc.

Old 09-06-11, 08:53 AM
hmm.. i do not think anyone ever said you are slamming the product. and I just re-read all posts. over-reacting maybe? entire thread appears to be very courteous and professional.
anyhow, consensus is - Rain X is a good product. You either got a dud, which happens, or maybe application was not right, which I doubt, as you are experienced long term user.

Old 09-06-11, 08:57 AM
OLD STYLE as in original packaging. now they also have squirt bottles, I find them more practical.

Old 09-06-11, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
No disrespect intended, giles. I can't imagine why the product wouldn't work as advertised other than gunguy's suggestion or maybe you got the 1 in 10,000 bottle that missed the quality control check on the filling line.

I think I would be inclined to try another bottle, maybe from a different store?

Old 09-06-11, 09:46 AM
Theres no "overreaction" it's just that from some of the replies it seems that many are very defensive for a product they apparently love. I just wanted to be sure an not offend anyone that may have taken my post wrong. Who Knows---the EPA may have got involved with this product--and you know what that means!!! From the replies, it appears I may have gotten a bad bottle and I guess I have accomplished my mission.
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Maybe you got a return that someone opened, used, and refilled with water? Did it have the seal intact and did it have the right smell?

I've seen it happen....and worse. Bricks and paper in a resealed electrical panel box, paint cans refilled with water, 3000lf of stolen base molding with one of our stickers on a single piece, etc, etc.

Old 09-07-11, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Might look up their 800 number and give them a call direct; would be interesting to hear their ideas. Maybe get a free bottle.

Rain-X: Contact Us with your questions and comments

Old 09-07-11, 06:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Who Knows---the EPA may have got involved with this product--and you know what that means!!!
YES, it means we could have had a product out there that would work on its own merits without government intervention. Heaven help us!!!