Battery power drain on a 1985 Chrysler Laser.

Old 09-08-11, 08:45 AM
Battery power drain on a 1985 Chrysler Laser.

Hello,

I have a 1985 Chrysler Laser, 2.0 non-turbo, three speed automatic, and about 300,xxx miles on it. It used to be my first car, but now it is retired because of a strange problem that I can't figure out. This car if you haven't guess already by its age and mileage, has had a lot of parts replaced on it. Water pump, alternator three times (re-manufactured ones were faulty and would only last a month), radiator, gas tanks, etc. The car is basically is on it's last leg and I am not going to throw money to fix it, I'm just curious of what the problem could be.

The problem: the battery seems to have a power drain on it, meaning that assuming the alternator is charging (I haven't drove it when I stopped using it, other people did and claimed this problem started, and I know if the alternator wasn't working because the battery needle on the dash would drop), the battery seems to stop working within a couple days, even sitting there when it's not running. THAT'S the problem. I cannot confirm if the alternator is working, it was when I stopped driving it, but the battery would die even if the car was not being used. No lights would be found on, no electronically devices were on. The car had a stereo system installed (amp, sub, CD player, speakers), so I thought that maybe the amp was drawing energy so I disconnected the whole system from power, yet it still did it.

The battery is being drained even when no electronical device is on, when the engine is off. What could it be?

David

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-11, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
A shorted diode in the alternator could cause that issue. It might put out some...but not what it should...so the battery runs low. Even with everything off, the bad diode will continue to drain the bat.

Old 09-08-11, 10:20 AM
That could easily made since. The re-manufactured alternators have honestly been crap, one of them lasted a week, another about six weeks, so it may be a bad alternator.

Old 09-08-11, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
As old as it is...you could easily have an issue with the wire from the alt to the bat as well. I had one in an '81 Honda that corroded inside the plastic jacket and sometimes would work, other times it wouldn't and it would eat the alternator since it was producing juice, with no where for it to go. The alt would heat up and blow a diode.

Old 09-08-11, 10:47 AM
The car sat in a field for twelve years, mice have damaged some of the smaller wires on the car, so a damaged or corroded wire could easily be possible. I know that at least for the positive battery cable, near the clamp, the plastic casing is split open and some corrosion has entered the copper wire. I've cleaned it at much as possible, and it's not a big gap, but could still affect it. I don't know a whole lot about anything electrical, so the advice I'm getting here is very helpful.

Old 09-08-11, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well....personally (and you pretty much said it) I wouldn't waste any time or money on a 35 y/o car.

Old 09-08-11, 11:04 AM
Haha, trust me, I'm not going to any money on the old thing. I was just curious of what the problem could be since I couldn't figure it out. Most likely I'm going to scrap the car, selling the new parts on ebay or something so I can at least get some gas money from it.