Looking for Instructions For Changing Timing Belt on Acura TL

Old 09-08-11, 09:25 AM
Looking for Instructions For Changing Timing Belt on Acura TL

I have a 2005 Acura TL that has now hit the 62K miles mark. I am advised that the timing belt should be changed at 70K. I have changed timing belts and chains on other cars but none was an Acura so I have experience in doing similar work. The dealer wants an arm and a leg to do the job. I have a car lift in my basement if access is required from beneath.

Where can I find information on how to go about this with this engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-11, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Chilton or Haynes manual typically has lots of good info - maybe even at the library.

Old 09-08-11, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Might also check the Autozone repair guides....overall they aren't bad.

Old 09-08-11, 11:28 AM
Autozone has it. Thanks for assistance.

Old 09-19-11, 05:30 PM
Double check your owner's manual, most newer Hondas and Acuras have a 100K timing belt change interval. My 1999 Odyssey was 105K. No sense in doing it any earlier than needed.

I did my Odyssey's and there are two things that could trip you up. One is getting the crank pulley bolt off. It takes a special tool to hold the pulley while you loosen the bolt. However, the torque is super high (160 ft-lbs if memory serves) and it's a bear to get loose. The second was the belt tensioner. I don't recall what it was exactly, but it had to be held in a certain way while the belt was installed. Again, there's a special tool, but this one isn't easily bought. I made one out of some aluminum sheet metal. Your Acura's engine might be different than my Odyssey's V6, though.

Check eBay for the factory Helm service manual. If you can get one cheap, they're better than the Chiltons or Haynes.

Old 09-19-11, 06:35 PM
yep. rightfully so. you have IVTEC engine, and timing belt change is very adventurous enterprise with that. serpentine belt, not really, but timing - yes indeed. As you'll have to mess with IVTEC unit that timing belt is engaging. At least, is on my wife's lexus with VVTI, which is same devil. I had it replaced professionally, at $450, with water pump and pullies (buddy owns a shop) and they had to take it back and re-configure 2 days later, as it through VVTI code.
you can also try this:
http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html

sorry, wrong link. here's yours:

manuallinks - Backwoodz Tuner's One tracked Mind for the Honda/Acura Enthusist

Old 09-20-11, 11:37 AM
"Double check your owner's manual, most newer Hondas and Acuras have a 100K timing belt change interval. My 1999 Odyssey was 105K. No sense in doing it any earlier than needed."

I cannot find the mileage in the owner's manual. However I did notice where it says that if the vehicle is operated in temperatures above 110 F or below -20 F, the belt should be changed at 60,000 miles. Seems to me that maybe the 100,000 figure might be in the ballpark since it has never seen temperatures anywhere near those extremes.

Wonder if there is a clearance problem in getting the new belt past the crank pulley so the pulley has to be removed. I have a car where I have to use a wooden, rounded pusher to shove the belt past the balance shafts belt driver pulley to the cam driver pulley. On another vehicle having 8 cylinders with twin cams and two cam belts, I had to make two wedges attached by a bolt so I can jam the wedges between the cam pulleys to keep the cams from jumping when I removed and reinstalled the new belts. It always pays to mark the positions of everything before removing anything when it comes to cam belts.

Looks like I don't have to change it for a while. Good!

Old 09-20-11, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by LawrenceC View Post
I am advised that the timing belt should be changed at 70K. I have changed timing belts and chains on other cars

lawrence, you need to decide, what is that you want to change. timing or engine belt, aka serpentine? serpentines are normally 100 000 miles; on interference engines, timing belts are routinely 60-70K miles. find out if your car has TIMING belt or chain. if it's belt, you MUST change it. bent rods and valves cost more to replace.

Old 09-20-11, 01:32 PM
ok, some good and bad news for you.

1. TIMING belt is due every 7 yrs or 105 000 miles
2. yes, it's interference engine
3. here's helpful link:
2006 TL 6 speed-man - timing belt replacement - AcuraZine Community

Old 09-21-11, 04:29 AM
The car has a timing belt. And, indeed, it is the timing belt that I am thinking about changing. And, yes, it is an interference engine. Manual said 60K for a vehicle operated in extreme temperatures.

When I first bought the car the dealer said 70K on the timing belt but I wonder if they are a bit conservative. Plus they want the work I am sure. But 70K is greater than 60K. Car has 62K now.

Old 09-21-11, 08:07 AM
Read this thread: 2006 TL 6 speed-man - timing belt replacement - AcuraZine Community

I'm not going to do anything until I get considerably more mileage. Thanks for advice.

Old 09-21-11, 11:10 AM
sorry, buddy, you'll agree, it was somewhat confusing what belt we were talking, considering that normally serpentines are due at 100 000 miles, and timing are due at 60-70K. But come to think more on the issue, my wife's Lexus was 100 000 either. on timing.
I dare not to mess with this, due to IVTEC/VVTI units involved. So, when my guys had it all clear, we replaced everything else same time - water pump, pulleys, everything that is otherwise covered by belts and engine cover.
sounds like you have solid 30K miles left. well, it'll go fast. you might as well buy belt now and stow it, not gonna be cheaper or better quality in 2 years.